Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss boiler service upgrade ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodds2004

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
im looking at offering a "premier" service on boilers over and above a standard service and was wondering if
anyone else hs tried this and what they called it?

was it successful and what extras did you include?

basically want to add system inhibitor
check balance system
give a full detailed report on the boiler

Basically go above and beyond the normal call of duty for people.

i would class that as a normal service and check the expansion pressure

I would also class that as a normal service! but you try getting a landlord to pay for inhibitor on his 15 year old boiler!

just trying to cater for people who want a basic service price driven!
or decent customers who want a proper job doing and pay a little extra

I don't want to get into what should and shouldn't be done as we all no certain customers
are price driven and only want the bare minimum done.

I just want to have a couple of options to offer people upfront

I would also class that as a normal service! but you try getting a landlord to pay for inhibitor on his 15 year old boiler!

just trying to cater for people who want a basic service price driven!
or decent customers who want a proper job doing and pay a little extra

I don't want to get into what should and shouldn't be done as we all no certain customers
are price driven and only want the bare minimum done.

I just want to have a couple of options to offer people upfront

you dont need to confuse people just ask if its a let/landlord prop if yes just stick your gsa in , check pressure and job done

Drain boiler & recharge the expansion ;)

that's a must. I always check the expansion and how much the pressure is moving between a cold and hot system.

have had loads and loads of problems on new builds around my area with expansion vessels losing there charge/failing within 2 years. builders using quality products as usual

With most customers as soon as you offer a Premier service the first thing that will spring to mind is ! this is going to be expensive, and will possibly call someone else, and you could loose a lot of work offering this , better to charge your normal rate & then ask if they would want any extras above what you are doing e.g check inhibitor etc.

I think this is actually a good idea, it gives the customer an option to spend more money with you if they want so how can that be a bad thing?

It's a bit like those websites that say 'you may also like this'. You may not, but it's worth a try. Sounds like good business to me.

Last edited:
With most customers as soon as you offer a Premier service the first thing that will spring to mind is ! this is going to be expensive, and will possibly call someone else, and you could loose a lot of work offering this , better to charge your normal rate & then ask if they would want any extras above what you are doing e.g check inhibitor etc.

Toatally agree if your offering a service at £80 and another firm is offering £40 then nearly all will go with the cheaper option.Better off going in at £40 then listing faults and if they want a reapair charge accordingly.

Normal service:
-Stick FGA in. Make sure you attach it to the case so it makes even more vibrating noise and the customer definitely hears it. I like my Testo; it comes in an important looking case. I even plug it in even though it runs off a rechargable battery because that makes it seem more important.
-Empty condensate trap if it's an easy boiler (new Vaillant). Don't bother if annoying (Worcester).
-Do gas rate AKA sit by meter for a few mins pretending to look really interested and technical.
-Hoover out 4 small flies from the bottom of the case. This takes at least 10 minutes.
-If you're feeling really adventurous, wave a smoke match around the case to CHECK THE SEALS. wow, so smoke so smell so important.
-Attach manometer to gas valve and leave it there while looking important and randomly firing boiler.

Tell customer you had to make a few small calibration adjustments but the boilers pretty much like new! Wow!

Job done. Cash or cheque?

Premium Service
-All of the above
-Wipe case with Wonder Wipe. So much grease removal, so shiny!
-Actually empty the Magnaclean.

Normal service:
-Stick FGA in. Make sure you attach it to the case so it makes even more vibrating noise and the customer definitely hears it. I like my Testo; it comes in an important looking case. I even plug it in even though it runs off a rechargable battery because that makes it seem more important.
-Empty condensate trap if it's an easy boiler (new Vaillant). Don't bother if annoying (Worcester).
-Do gas rate AKA sit by meter for a few mins pretending to look really interested and technical.
-Hoover out 4 small flies from the bottom of the case. This takes at least 10 minutes.
-If you're feeling really adventurous, wave a smoke match around the case to CHECK THE SEALS. wow, so smoke so smell so important.
-Attach manometer to gas valve and leave it there while looking important and randomly firing boiler.

Tell customer you had to make a few small calibration adjustments but the boilers pretty much like new! Wow!

Job done. Cash or cheque?

Premium Service
-All of the above
-Wipe case with Wonder Wipe. So much grease removal, so shiny!
-Actually empty the Magnaclean.

Have you been watching me?

Toatally agree if your offering a service at £80 and another firm is offering £40 then nearly all will go with the cheaper option.Better off going in at £40 then listing faults and if they want a reapair charge accordingly.

better still charge £75 for a service for regulars and £85 to new ones and leave them on the same price for 3 years before any increases, sod £40 for a service

A boiler service then a heating service is what I'd call that.

A boiler service then a heating service is what I'd call that.

Vyea I like that. I want to be able to do the lower price ones and have a offer for a premium aswell. I find if you say a price and then add extras they think it's a con. But if you offer 2 prices it's there choice to choose the lower one

Your website prices of a boiler & gas cert for 45 & back boiler & cert for 65 are pretty cheap as is, I'd say up the prices & just be known for doing a thorough service every time!

Most services around my way are no more than £50 i doubt if try to offer a premium service people would pay that extra bit . I would say give it a whirl see what you get may take off if not back down to your usual rate.

No harm in trying it, if people don't go for it you don't lose anything.

I like to give people advise when I am there and if they want the work doing then they get charged extra.

I do find a lot of people adopt the if it's not broke don't fix it mentality until it breaks down then why didn't you tell me! It's your fault mentality.

Most services around my way are no more than £50 i doubt if try to offer a premium service people would pay that extra bit . I would say give it a whirl see what you get may take off if not back down to your usual rate.

Totally agree with hammers, I live about 15 miles from him, in a area of low wages & High unemployment guys in this area doing service work for £40 or less, with a large number of plumbers 600 + . You may be fortunate and live in a more affluent location where you can charge Premium rates & the competition is not as fierce.

I always point out the faults, and give an honest opinion on any faults. If they don't act on it, it's there problem. You have to strike a balance between doing a decent job and doing to much for the money your being payed.

I always give the customer the option,
Tell them the price for the service, then tell them they should really have XYZ as well but that will cost X amount extra for the proper job, they nearly always go for the cheaper option

going to try it with standard service and heating or gold service.

just trying to work out how I can word the extras that are included so it sounds apealing

for all of you out there that think everyone else charges £45 for a service, forget the rumours and try higher prices, you will soon see it doesnt matter and there are plenty charging more, so be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler service upgrade ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a...
Replies
Views
Not an expert at all here, so please bear with me. We bought a Victorian terraced house early 2 years ago that was maintained quite well, with a...
Replies
Views
A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock