Discuss Boiler size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scottley

Hey peeps

I have had a look at a link posted on here for the Seduk calc. Can anyone help me out with how to use the bloomin thing?

I have a bungalow that im converting to a chalet bungalow with 4 beds and 2 baths upstairs with a main bed and ensuite downstairs. Its quite a large floor area 120mt/sq down and 86 up. I have a 250lt megaflow and all the pipework is in and run as it should be (28/22/15mm). Im a touch concerned about the boiler size. I am looking at the Worcester Bosch 40CDI but think it may be slightly oversize (as well as over priced)

Any help would be appreciated, im a firm believer in things being right and not labouring to heat the place so want it right even if it means the more expensive boiler.

Thanks

Scott

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a guide ... rather rough and ready but it's never let me down ...

Measure each room then add all the rooms up and you'll get the size of boiler you need.

1. Height x length x width (all in metres) x 45 /1000
2. The figure for each room will give you the radiator size required in watts
3. That calculation for each room then add them all up
4. Add all the watts up and add a little for luck for the hot water and find a boiler suit. If your figure is say 21Kw then a 18/25 Kw boiler would be good.

Simples ... Eeeekk!

hi mate with you saying you have to bath rooms i wouldnt suggest a combi boiler but rather a conventional system with a unvented cylinder the plus side of this is the boiler can be smaller size an you have shed loads of mains pressure hot water that can cope with more than 1 draw off at a time on it this system is more ecconmical to run too. a system boiler like valliant eco tec630 so theres no tanks in the loft or anythink

Thanks guys

Dontknowitall: You were pretty close as it came to 21.15 without the heating!

How much luck would you suggest i had for the hot water? Bearing in mind its a 250lt megaflow?

Im assuming the 30kw will work ok but in your opinion do you think it will be labouring to heat the whole house or do you think i would be better off with the 40CDI?

One other probably dumb question can i use the 30cdi system boiler as a heating only boiler? The megaflo is a sytem fit so i only need a heating only boiler and the 30cdi is listed as a system boiler.

Thanks Scott

Crashndie: Your right I wouldnt consider a combi, i made the mistake of putting one in my last house with just me in it and it was awful! The megaflo is defintely the way forward for me especially with the kids . Thanks

do not over size the boiler its better to be sized correctly and will run at its most efficient.

a system boiler is basically a HE boiler just with a pump, expansion vessel and PRV built in

Thanks i just been googling! I think ill go for the 30CDI.

Any idea what the differnce is between the WB CDI and the RI boilers?

30kw is oversized by the sounds of it go for the 24kw

wont be a prob th fit to megaflow will work fine with any DHW cylinder

I have had a look at a link posted on here for the Seduk calc. Can anyone help me out with how to use the bloomin thing?
I agree, the Sedbuk calculator is compicated. Use this Boiler Size Calculator instead. It will give exactly the same result as the Sedbuk one, but is easier to understand.

Having said that ;), when it comes to the number of walls, it means walls exposed to the weather. So a detached has two in each direction, but a semi has two, side to side and one, back to front.

I would treat it as a bungalow and then add in the radiators specified for the new upstairs rooms.

I have a 250lt megaflow
The calculator only allows 2kW for hot water, it might be better to allow an extra kW as you have a large cylinder.

There is no point in buying a boiler which is larger than your radiators can handle. So you need to work out the output of existing rads using the Stelrad Elite Catalogue and then add in the rads going into the new upstairs bedrooms.

If this is less than the calculated boiler size, you will probably need to change some of the existing rads. It does not matter if the rads add up to more than the boiler size.

Re above post and outside walls, poor insulation, etc, my calculation uses 50 instead of 45 and when well insulated, internal room, etc I use 40 instead of 45. Didn't explain that early as I was trying to keep things simples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, After a bit of a saga with my plumber, I need to chose boiler size as soon as possible, the plumber is not going to do any heat loss...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, Plumbing novice here so please go easy! We have a convential potterton boiler, with a megaflo hot water cylinder and cubex expansion...
Replies
Views
Hi Gents, I'm currently doing a Job at a small warehouse where i've been fitting a Basin and toilet, the owner of the premises is a close friend...
Replies
Views
E
hi all. what method does anyone use for boiler sizing?any hints or tips out there. i have alwys used the whole house method - long winded
Replies
Views
S
Hey, im having a problem with a Baxi boiler which is constantly loosing pressure. It heats up water and radiators (only if thermostats are up...
Replies
Views
diesel_ltd
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock