Discuss Bottom of radiator not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

evets51

I had a new boiler installed approx a month ago, this included a powerflush which I'm satisfied was done well as previously the water coming from the vent keys when I had an airlock was filthy black - the 2 airlocks I've had since it was installed the water is clear.

We noticed one bedroom didn't feel all that warm - I felt the radiator and it was hot. However it was only last week that I thought to feel the bottom of the radiator - its cold, only the top is hot. Previously this room was very warm so I think the bottom being cold is since the new boiler was installed.

From what I've read this is sludge in the bottom of the radiator. I've tried to contact the person who installed the boiler to come look at this but he's hard to get hold of - pretty busy I think and doesn't return calls. Overall I'm happy with the work he did.

Question is - in expert's opinions is this likely to be something that was "caused" by the installation, and therefore should I be pushing to get it rectified for no further charge? If not, then I'm happy to call another engineer and ask him to fix it - but something at the back of my mind says the room was warm before the new boiler was installed and now it isn't, therefore its a problem with the install ...

Thanks in advance

could be quite an old radiator so even though you had the system power flushed the corrosion was already quite advanced. or have you tunred the locksheild valves down and not opened them fully ?sometimes the plastic head is not actually moving the spindle you need to take of and check with a spanner or t.r.v. might not be opened fully.

yes it does sound like sludge to me. is it only on one radiator that you have a cold spot? easiest way to sort this is to take the radiator off and take it into the garden and flush it through with a hose. i think that the flush wasn't as thorough as it could have been imho how long did the installer take on it?

If your system power flushed and system is clean.I suggest your radiators needs balancing. Turn of all radiators except one you having problem, once you have satisfied heat start to balance the other ones one by one.

Bit worrying that your installer is hard to contact.
He may have done a good job but after sales service is equally important in my book.
Maybe I'm old fashioned!

even if i was rushed off my feet i would return a call it may be for more work after all.

If your system power flushed and system is clean.I suggest your radiators needs balancing. Turn of all radiators except one you having problem, once you have satisfied heat start to balance the other ones one by one.

That sounds about right to me. If the rad is still cold at the bottom with all the others off then it's sludge, if it gets hot it's a balancing issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bottom of radiator not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those...
Replies
Views
I have recently bought my own house and decided to redo the kitchen. There was a radiator in the room already but I wanted to move it. I extended...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock