Search the forum,

Discuss Builder problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

badbob

Had a dispute with the builder. He was supposed to do the downstairs toilet, and fix a sink and watertank to the garage. When he put up a pair of gallow beams, he damaged the brick, and when I inspected the beams, they were coming away from the wall. They were fixed with approx 6" screws and wall plugs. We had another builder in, and said what he done was unsuitable.

He then used expanding bolts, but when I checked the work again the brick for one bolt has a void inside, for that side it was only held in with one bolt. For the other one the bolt was loose, and the 6" screw was loose and it was coming off from the wall also.

When I voiced my opinion of the state of the work, he had a tantrum, saying I should not oversee his work, and didn't like it when I pointed the work that needed re-doing again.

He put on 1 box of wall tiles, but then realised he only had 1 box, so he ripped them off, bought some other colour, came back but then I managed to find the original tiles in a store. He's put in a flex pipe for the WC, and flattened the area where there was a couple of large holes.

He's fixed the wall tiles, but has not grouted them. Not all floor tiles are laid. Toilet & sink are not fitted, and he took them away.

He didn't buy the right tiles, and enough of them, so had to drive around to get them, and even then didn't buy the right tiles. He bought some other tiles which we didn't like. I then managed to find a store with the tiles that I originally decided on. Also when he arrived with the sink it was the incorrect one, I refused him to fit that one. The WC was fine, no problem with that.

When I pointed out the beams for the watertank, he then said give me a cheque for the work (what work? the work is incomplete/damaged) then said he'll smash the tiles, I said if you do that I won't give you a penny. I said if you finish the work we agreed on, I'd pay him. He started to load stuff back onto the van, taking away the toilet.

I then went outside, tried to cool things down between us, again I said if he completes the downstairs toilet, I'd pay him the full amount. He didn't accept that and drove off.

I don't think I was being unreasonable, I did not threaten, swear or scream at him, just saying a little disappointed.

What should I do, is it possible he'll follow legal action? Should I just send him a cheque for the materials (tiling, cheap pair of taps, little bit of piping) plus a bit for labour? No way am I paying for full price.

I haven't paid him yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a difficult with, only hearing one side of the story, depends on the contract you have with him.
it sounds like there wasnt much planning on the job by either you or him.
generally jobs are not started until all the materials are on site or ordered.
if there is a written quote, stating work to be done and at what price, if that hasnt been completed to an adequate standard, then you are in the right.
however, if he quoted you a price, then you ask for extras, things get much more complicated.
i couldnt offer you advice without knowing his side of the story.
however, your best option would be to talk to the guy on monday when you have both calmed down and see where the water lies!!

trading standards can help, so can blacklistedbuilders.com but you have to prove your in the right. also if you go along those lines you'll find yourself locally blacklisted.

try to make friends and work it out.

good luck
shaun

I emailed him what I wanted for the cloakroom toilet on 11th June, and have not changed those items. I did ask him to add the shed sink on 24th June, and of course said will pay extra for that. He then gave me the quote.

After that I did mention about a small water heater, but of course I'd pay for that ontop of the quote. But decided not to do that within the period of half a day. Also if someone would have come up, for example a needing a pump, I'd pay extra for that.

He did not drop off all materials before starting the job.

oh my mother had to go to the hospital due to the stress of it, just storming off leaving the job half done, and worried he'd do something. :mad:

sounds like a job started, extras added, and mis-communication since.
like i said above.

try to make friends and work it out.

we are not all cowboys, and do like to leave a happy customer!!

shaun

the worst customers are wood ya's you do what youve priced for and then they say wood ya just pop a new washer on the tap while your here of course they dont want to pay any extra
i used to fall for this all the time now i say yes it will cost x and miraculously the tap doesnt realy need the washer after all

As I said any extra work/things on top would be paid for, for example another builder said for a tenner could fit straps to fix roof to wall. No problem.

It isn't my money, so if it needed to be done, and added to the quote then it'll be done.

I don't expect builder to pay, unless I initially said in the inspection that something needs sorting (for frame over a window is suspect, builder did not asses it needed one, then complained afterwards) He should have said that needs a lintel, I would have agreed.

Most of us will avoid legal action if at all possible, it is very time consuming, depending on the amount expensive (if not small claims) and creates a bad atmosphere.

I agree with very much what has been said, speak to the builder but re-read the work that was agreed upon.

If your not happy your quite within your rights to explain what is wrong and why your not happy. The downside of any disagreements like this is that it gets confrontational without even trying. It is human nature to defend your work.

I would also speak to consumer direct they have a website and are extremley helpful, I have used them when arguing with my credit card company and another company for non-delivery of goods.

Also, if you can get the builder back its best to only have one point of contact you and him, the situation gets complicated if dealing with a third party as well. The lines of communication get blurred.

When I had building work done, I did not deal with the builder at all, all decisions about what was going where was done by my better but not as good looking half, all I did was pay.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Builder problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock