Discuss But what controls do I ACTUALLY need to have installed with the boiler?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackspaven

Just starting to have the trickle of plumbers round doing quotes for boilers and, as I suspected and hoped WOULDN'T happen, they're giving me different bits of advice on what I 'have' to have, along the lines of the 'I shouldn't install it without x/y/z'.

I've currently got a 14 year old Ariston Micro Genus 27mffi combi, which although EVERY plumber has said is cr@p, has worked fine for all that time and I've definitely got my money's worth. The issue seems to be not with the replacement condensing combi, but with the extras. Definitely getting a magnaclean of some description, so that's not an issue, but I've always quite happily controlled my old boiler with the dials on the boiler itself. So I know it's not going to balance and be thermostatic and lovely, it's either on or off, but that's suited me and the girlfriend fine.

So, both so far have quoted for Worcester.

First bloke said would I like a wired or rf controller, and personally I can't see the point in spending an extra £100 on something simply because it's in exactly the same place 2 foot away and wiring wouldn't be an issue anyway. But he gave me the choice.

Second bloke said I HAD to have one certain bit installed (can't get my head around which) so he said he was gonna quote for a Comfort II RF thermostat which would cover everything, but apart from efficiency and programmability, I couldn't see what was wrong with the good old fashioned mechanical timers?

Just not sure what I HAVE to have which my old boiler didn't seem to do perfectly fine anyway? Don't like gadgets at all, so this Worcester Wave rubbish was of no interest to me: see enough people fannying around with their heating on the train for when they get home for me to completely hold it in contempt: House is cold, put a jumper on, wait 10 minutes and it'll be warm, how difficult is that... or am I missing something?!

You need a timer and a room thermostat of some description (doesn't have to be fancy)
Plus thermostatic radiator valves on the radiators.

Those are what are needed for building regs compliance.
I lump a flush of the heating system in as a must.

For manufacturers warranty:
Magnet
Scale reducer if in hard water area.

Yeah, you are missing something!!!

It's 2016.

Back in the seventies and earlier, when mechanical timers were new age it was fine - although something to be wary of.

Step forward 30 odd years and wired programmable thermostats were all the rage.
They were still something to be wary of, because the booklet that came with them, was directly translated from Japanese to English, by a Japanese person, who never spoke English as a second, third or fourth language.

As of today - stuff wifi. Just install a wired thermostat from the boiler to a suitable, close location.
You can either get a manual thermostat or a programmable thermostat.

For some comfort, wired thermostat are old school and ancient.

But then..so are some of us ....and we feel comfortable.

Hope this helps.

OKay, thanks. Got trvs on all the rads, seems with Worcester it pushes up the warranty to get their stuff and it doesn't seem any more expensive than other stuff. Just spoke to technical at Worcester to get some clarity about their controls and the differences between models, and he said if you're just replacing an existing boiler you're not following building regs, you don't need to have a thermostat, it's just advisable to as it's more efficient. Sound about right?

Would be happy with wired control thermostat but going for their own range increases warranty and (allegedly) efficiency, and they're more functionable for not much more money so will have to look at if it's worth it.

Sounds about right.

But boiler manufacturers will tell you anything to sell you their boiler.

Yup, just had a look and bizarrely there's about £15 difference between the various controllers so might as well go with whatever gives the most. All the digital stuff is saying the same efficiency unless you go with weather compensation, but can't see that making a huge saving!

Weather compensation.

The idea behind that is to reduce the temperature of the hot water from the boiler due to the outside temperature.

So, if the outdoor temperature was, say 15 C,m the boiler would only heat the water to, say,
50 C, instead if 75 C if the outdoor temp was 3 C.

Can save money on heating bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to But what controls do I ACTUALLY need to have installed with the boiler?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock