Currently reading:
Buying a new build house

Discuss Buying a new build house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rickster123

Evening all. For the past 8 years I've been renting houses but it's getting frustrating having to keep moving. After a messy and highly costly divorce several years ago I swore id never buy another house but I've decided that Kate is a keeper so I'm taking the plunge again.
The best deal seems to a new build. No stamp duty or fees etc and a government help to buy scheme would really help us get a foot in the door so to speak.
But I've got no experience of new builds and I'm looking for pro's and con's. Any advice would be appreciated.
Much love.

It's not a piddly little new build it's a decent sized family home. And the garden size was one of my big concerns.

Disagree, on my second new build. Both have had big bedrooms, with built in storage, big gardens, however the snagging list is big and because I had to chase them, they have washed there hands and told me to go to nhbc

Nothing worth buying has been built since WW2. (war 1)

There are a few decent properties from between WW1 (war 2) and WW2, but the newest houses really worth trying are Edwardian - from between the Boer War (war 3) and WW1.

The choice widens between the Crimean war (mid victorian - War 4) and the Boer War (late victorian).

When you get before the Crimean war, you really start to find some regency and early victorian properties, but the finest houses in britain pre-date the napoleonic wars (War 5).

They have been standing 200 years, and will no doubt stand 200 years more. Which is more than you can say for the sh1te that passes for new-build today.

Hence the 5 war rule.

Warranty on everything and if you move in near the start of the development the trades are still on site to put right all the shrinkage that'll happen along the stairs. New kitchen bathroom fresh paint and fresh start for you and the Mrs.

You'll not make much on it unless you buy off plan.

Few come with garages, and also have restrictions on the size of shed you can have.

We nearly purchased a new build but they said I wouldn't be allowed to keep my sign written van on the development and would need to keep it somewhere else to which I kicked off that they wanted £190,000 for a property I couldn't park near yet scrap man in his HA over the road was fine to park as his van was plain.

So always check about the van!!

Would rather move into a skip than buy a new build, horrific quality of build , social housing has to have a percentage on all new builds and if they struggle to sell then all of it ends up as social housing.
Another thing you could spend 200 k on yours and if they struggle to sell then they drop the price, also 3 years later the render fades badly.
Normally built on flood planes , parking on these dumps is horrific as only allow for 1 car per house parking.
list goes on and on stay away from new build

Varys from site to site, I've worked on sites that don't have standards & I've worked on sites that hand over pretty much perfect quality homes to very high standards. Main issue is getting snagging sorted. Do you have a house builder in mind?

Warranty on everything and if you move in near the start of the development the trades are still on site to put right all the shrinkage that'll happen along the stairs. New kitchen bathroom fresh paint and fresh start for you and the Mrs.

You'll not make much on it unless you buy off plan.

Few come with garages, and also have restrictions on the size of shed you can have.

We nearly purchased a new build but they said I wouldn't be allowed to keep my sign written van on the development and would need to keep it somewhere else to which I kicked off that they wanted £190,000 for a property I couldn't park near yet scrap man in his HA over the road was fine to park as his van was plain.

So always check about the van!!

Haha reminds me of my mate when he bought a new build , turned up in his transporter and they said we are not selling to trades as will lower the price in the area .

Ok he said be back in a minute ,
Came back in his 200 k ferrari
then asked to buy the biggest house on the site

Haha reminds me of my mate when he bought a new build , turned up in his transporter and they said we are not selling to trades as will lower the price in the area .

Ok he said be back in a minute ,
Came back in his 200 k ferrari
then asked to buy the biggest house on the site

Wasn't a bloke called Chris in Milton Keynes by any chance?

Here's my abode, hiding behind my now crushed laguna: built in 1930. Only problem is condensation in the bays, and a cracked joist in the living room which I've got to fix before fireplace goes in, as we're walking up and doon hill.
Plus the 3rd bedroom ain't what I'd call a bedroom, just small.
SAM_0557.jpg

most new builds are bad quality, probably the better ones are by experienced small builders who dont throw them up in 2 months.

did a 2nd fix in a new build last week and the bath panel was 20mm out on one side due to level of floor.

stay clear of any builder who uses metal framed stud walls, they a really bad.

biggest problem is lack of quality control, site manager is just a paper pusher, trades are all on price work but bad prices so they throw it in with the no care (cant blame them).

Metal studs are used in all big offices so don't really think there crap

My last house was a new build, 3 storeys loads of space 6 bed ect. The 2/3 rd floors had the metal framework for the walls, close any door and the walls shook ! I did a smoke pellet test on the chimney and filled the house with smoke, the brickies had dropped a bucket down the chimney and left it !! They had to put up scaffolding and use scaffold poles to smash the bucket down. Never again.

Metal studs are used in all big offices so don't really think there crap

i would think they prob use better quality frameworks and better installers and prob thicker plasterboards (doubled/trippled).

Every Wimpey house ive been in has had them, slam the front door and the walls all shake. dont get this with timber stud walls.

i would think they prob use better quality frameworks and better installers and prob thicker plasterboards (doubled/trippled).

Every Wimpey house ive been in has had them, slam the front door and the walls all shake. dont get this with timber stud walls.

You're right they use nearly double the thicken stud compared to developers like Wimpey. Wimpey use 40mm metal stud but are apparently going back to using CLS in the near future.

4 x 2 is better, then if you turn it and use it as a noggin you still have half the depth for pipework etc. 3x2 with a 3x2 noggin does not leave enough room for a 22mm pipe.

not that a builder cares about the plumbers pipework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Buying a new build house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock