Currently reading:
Buying second hand taps

Discuss Buying second hand taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

In order to make sure I get some good quality stuff in my new bathroom i'm considering some branded second hand taps.

Do I need to make sure there's anything in particular that comes with them? I.e. If a tap I have seen on eBay doesn't have "Pop up waste" - what does that mean for me? Will I need to buy that separately? Or will it just mean I will need a regular plug hole?!

My question is basically: Are there any other "bits" That I need with a tap?

Thanks.

finding out how much spares for them would be and if you can get them would be a good idea
as for the waste you can get any type that will fit the sink

Can you post a link to the taps you're looking at and we'll advise, don't worry about pop up wastes they're rubbish, just buy a 'click clack' waste.

Mebee not suitable if you have high pressure
what makes you think that Glenno?

I have no ida what pressure I have you see thats one of the things I'm nervous about but it says 0.1 bar, that sounds quite low to me (although I no nothing about plumbing or water)

I asked on here once about a cheap no-name tap from eBay which I love the look of (Dream Chrome Waterfall Single Lever Bathroom Basin Mixer Tap & FREE Waste | eBay) but was told to stay clear as it may contaminate the water supply if it's not up to a certain UK standard. Really confused but want as high quality as I can for under £50 a tap, whether that be used or new.

If they dont say it is suitable for high and low pressures,theres usually a reason why they dont

got you cheers, will look out for that. Does that waterfall bath one I linked to just look junk to you? It's no make.

i think you will probably get a better deal buying bath and basin taps as a set

thanks for the link Mike, did you post that because it's a better version of that one on eBay I posted? Is it branded in some way?

Can only a plumber tell what kind of system I have? It's a small looking combi boiler in the garage if that makes any difference?! :freak: sorry i'm clueless haha

its from the same shop as the ebay taps if you scroll down on the page you will see
was just giving you an example theirs loads of similar ones on there

do you have a tank in the loft or a cylinder anywhere?

I have no way of being able to tell i'm afraid - it's a house i'm in the process of buying.

I get what you mean about the site, yes I see that theyre actually a web shop. I am guessing because the tap is so cheap it's rubbish, and I don't fancy a non WRAS approved one contaminating the water supply :saddam:

you'd have to ask as they don't say personally i would try your local plumbing merchants
and bathroom shops if you buy everything together i'am sure you could get a better deal and if you have any issues it will be easier to sort out but make sure you find out which system you have before you buy

i find the best solution is to visit showrooms, plumbers merchants etc... to see what you like then search the web for the best prices. I only buy taps i know the brand of now, plenty of bad stuff about that looks good in a picture.

Think about the potential hundreds/thousands of time that a display tap has been turned on and off and swivelled about etc. I'd avoid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

waterfall taps are great if you have a cleaner in your bathroom every day to polish it in reality most loose there shine from the water flowing over them and look dead rough in weeks

I agree,im not a fan of them.If your worried about contamination of the main you can install check valves on pipework

I'd be a bit wary of buying secondhand taps off Ebay, well anywhere really. You can get brand new ones for the sort of money you are mentioning paying, less in fact & you have all the manufacturers & retailers warranties to boot. If you were looking at spending a small amount I'd say go for it but at £100+ I personally wouldn't buy 2nd hand.

I've seen the dream waterfall taps in a restaurant we were in during the summer. They're OK but I think they're a bit of a gimmick. Avoid if you are in limescale areas. Really suited for people washing hands under a tap rather than filling a basin with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Buying second hand taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock