Search the forum,

Discuss Bypass on y plan in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Does a y plan need a bypass between the pump and the 3 port valve. If there is no pump over run?

That's the current set up. I didn't think it needed one as there wasn't a pump over run. 3 way valve shuts, or goes to mid position? As the pump stops

Attachments

• IMG_20210601_161218.jpg
    IMG_20210601_161218.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 17
The mid position valve holds the last port of call, unless you remove all power from the system, in which case it spring returns to HW port, if not already there. Unlike a NC 2 port, it will always have a port open.

Correct

So at no point can the mid position valve be totally off like a 2 port valve so no bypass is really needed even if the pump had over run. Is that correct

Bang on buddy. One problem though is if CH was last port of call, then even without power to the boiler and pump the motor is still energised holding it in CH port. Because of this the valve head can remain quite hot to touch and burnt out motors are more common than on a 2 port. Obviously if in HW port the motor is not energised, has just spring returned to default position.

The manual switch is for filling I believe, to help speed up the process and channel air into the higher points. Technically the system will fill without it but might be slower and cause air problems?

I just remove the head and put the valve in the middle of the two seats

Thanks I was just looking at the set up again with regards to the bypass/gate valve. It goes in to the hot water primarys so if slightly open as a bypass should be it would warm the hot water coil at all times. Seems a strange set up.

Short circuiting more like and going straight back to the boiler

If its open for CH it will probably short circuit and go straight back to return. This will in turn cause the boiler to modulate down. The bypass needs to be installed between the common flow and common return.

Best to leave alone and just change the valve then you can’t be blamed for something not working or a rad not heating up :D

Eph valve I think

And just to confirm no bypass needed even if a pump over run was wired in on a system with a 3 port valve. As a 3 port valve is always open to one port? It doesn't shut off like a 2 port valve. Only really worked on S plans before.

Attachments

• IMG_20210601_161218.jpg
    IMG_20210601_161218.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 11
One port is always open on a 3 port you can shut them

I'd just shut that gate valve completely mate, or remove it. As it is its causing a short circuit, which in any demand is causing an underflow in each circuit and not good.

Reply to Bypass on y plan in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock