Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Camray 5 oil boiler locking-out every 24/48 hours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AJPotter

I have a Boulter Camray 5 oil fired combi boiler. Every 48 hours or so it trips then restarts first time every time the trip is re-set.

My heating engineer initially suggested this was caused by a faulty central heating pump, then suggested it may be the solenoid, both have been replaced. The oil tank is full and everything has been serviced in the last 2 months.

Growing tired of removing the cover to re-set I left it off, it then ran for 2 weeks without tripping. Yesterday I replaced the cover and within 24 hours it has tripped again. Suggests to me that something must be getting too hot (or that something doesn't like the dark, but as it is pitch black at night that seems unlikely).

The engineer said if the solenoid doesn't fix it, the problem might be a faulty control box.

Any suggestions?

AJ, it might be a control box issue, but I'd be inclined to check that the cover isn't impeding on a loose wiring connection when it is in place first i.e., on your solenoid for example. The cover shouldn't be causing anything to heat up excessively, it's designed to be fitted. Have a qualified oil engineer look your burner over - then again I note you already have had!!

AJ, it might be a control box issue, but I'd be inclined to check that the cover isn't impeding on a loose wiring connection when it is in place first i.e., on your solenoid for example. The cover shouldn't be causing anything to heat up excessively, it's designed to be fitted. Have a qualified oil engineer look your burner over - then again I note you already have had!!

Thanks for the reply. I didn't actually re-fit the cover, despite my earlier statement, I just re-fitted the cupboard doors that the boiler sits within, so nothing changed that touches the boiler. A fully qualified engineer has spent the best part of a day, over 4 visits, checking the various components etc. Being fair the symptoms were less well understood when he last came out.

Is it possible that the electronics in the control box might fail when they warm up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the transformer within the control box? (part number 3008652 Control Box 535 SE/LD)

Is the transformer within the control box? (part number 3008652 Control Box 535 SE/LD)

Yes it is, You've a Riello R40 burner on your boiler there. I'd get your engineer to take another look at the air settings and oil settings before changing the control box.

I'm not familiar with this type of boiler so excuse me if I'm way off the mark, Riello R40 burner suggests it's not the most modern unit, is it possible there's not enough air in the compartment?

Boiler works with the door off but it sits inside a cupboard, I've seen a lot of boilers where the print out shows perfect combustion but not tested with the burner cover in place = false reading as the air is restricted by the cover.

I'm not familiar with this type of boiler so excuse me if I'm way off the mark, Riello R40 burner suggests it's not the most modern unit, is it possible there's not enough air in the compartment?

Boiler works with the door off but it sits inside a cupboard, I've seen a lot of boilers where the print out shows perfect combustion but not tested with the burner cover in place = false reading as the air is restricted by the cover.

You picked up the same as me Pete. I'd actually be looking at a fixed ventilation issue too but one step at a time. ;)

Balanced flue? would not be effected if door was on or off? or is it not balanced flue?

Hi Guys. The 8652(black control box) is on the Rdb burners so it could be a balanced flue/air intake problem could it not?. Does the burner have a snorkel attached?

The cupboard unit has a 2ft x 1ft hole to let air in at the bottom, also runs OK for couple of days between tripping, if limited air I guess it would trip much sooner? Good point about checking with cover in place, will ask engineer to do that when he returns

looks more like a control box isue, overheating? or control box relays just getting on a bit and carboned up prehaps, cannt see them on this control box tho all nice and black. new one costs about £80 or thereabout inc delivery, could always try that as they do fall apart after a while and its not something you change at a service.

looks more like a control box isue, overheating? or control box relays just getting on a bit and carboned up prehaps, cannt see them on this control box tho all nice and black. new one costs about £80 or thereabout inc delivery, could always try that as they do fall apart after a while and its not something you change at a service.

I've bought a control box but have not had it fitted, as it works with cover off didn't want to risk it failing altogether just before Christmas. Would a dodgy control box be more likely to fail after a couple of days if it got warm? Is replacing the control box just a matter of correct wiring or does the boiler need to be adjusted if a new control box is fitted?

Fitting a new control box will not upset any of the boilers settings. It does seem very likely to be a control box, providing the boiler is set correctly & therefore starts on a cold start.
Capacitors can cause problems, but should have been obvious.
Riello oil pumps can be worn inside & jam at any time & then work when the lockout button is pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Camray 5 oil boiler locking-out every 24/48 hours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock