Search the forum,

Discuss Can I close my bypass rad if I keep another open? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Beany_bot

Sorry for stupid question but if you don't know you don't know.

Can I turn off the 'bypass radiator" in the hall (has no TRV) as long as I keep another radiator, (any other, somewhere) open?

Or is this bypass radiator somehow plumbed differently and must never be closed?

Yes that’s fine if it’s one with a trv best to remove the head then you can shut it

Thanks, basically I moved the thermostat from the hall to the living room. The hall radiator is the only one without a TRV so was worried about closing it (don't want this rad on anymore, cost of living you know!) But two big rads in the living room will remain open at all times. Just don't want to break the pump or blow up the boiler! I guess the purpose of the "bypass rad" is just to ensure there is some sort of heat sink?

Exactly and for somewhere for the pump to pump when the trvs shut etc hence removing a trv head

On one rad yes think some models still have a max temp then they shut off so best to remove

On one rad yes think some models still have a max temp then they shut off so best to remove
Hmm, wouldn't know how to go about doing that, I assume the whole system would need depressurised? Fairly sure on the max setting it should be "always open". (this is the type I have)
Capture.PNG
But I don't know for sure about these things

Do you see below the openings there is a line bottom side turns eg undo it til it stops then hold the valve and lift / pull the top off might be tight so might need a wiggle

The valve is a danfoss ras c2

Ah I see, so if I take the plastic top off that will stop it closing ever? I just assumed the actual valve control was inside the brass gubbins. Didn't realise the "top bit" did the thermo stuff. So this is it fully and forever open now?
PXL_20220822_203001085.jpg

Last edited:
Ah I see, so if I take the plastic top off that will stop it closing ever? I just assumed the actual valve control was inside the brass gubbins. Didn't realise the "top bit" did the thermo stuff.

Correct

Yes

Reply to Can I close my bypass rad if I keep another open? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock