Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Cant find 15mm bypass valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gungaabayar

Hi

Need to change bypass valve, cos it lets water through even it closed position. seems like knackered.

I was looking a similar one but cant find 15mm bypass valve, All I can see on the market is 22mm auto bypass valves,

so what kind of bypass valve I need to replace it with? and is there a place where can I find 15mm bypass valve which is similar to the one in the photo attached?

another silly question is which way I need to turn to close (or tighten) it clockwise or anticlockwise?

cheers all

Attachments

• 15mmBypass.jpg
    15mmBypass.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 117
You have a manual gate valve. ( lockshield) it will be set in one position and will let water bypass all the time.
You can replace with a 23mm bypass and get compression reducing sets for each end or danffoss make a15mm version.
Danfoss Randall Avdo15 Auto By Pass Valve 15 Mm - BHL
View attachment 24779

blimey its quite expensive,

anyway, as for my current bypass valve does it look like I need to turn it anticlockwise to shut the valve? why Im asking this silly question is the other day a plumber visited me and told that the gate valve turns other way around (anticlockwise) to shut it, I dnt wanna try it in case it looks too old and may comes off if I turn it wrong way!!!
cheers

Gatevalves (Lockshield as yours is) turn Clockwise to close.

And it doesn't matter that it lets water through when closed, a manual valve shouldn't ever be closed, it wouldn't be a bypass if it was.

If the Auto is too expensive then;

https://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=68362

Last edited:
Gatevalves (Lockshield as yours is) turn Clockwise to close.

And it doesn't matter that it lets water through when closed, a manual valve shouldn't ever be closed, it wouldn't be a bypass if it was.

If the Auto is too expensive then;

https://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=68362

thank you very much,

there is a shield in the gate valve and I took it and but cant turn it anticlockwise, so tried to turn it clockwise easily but little water come out and so I turn it back (anticlockwise) , seems like the gate valve is all the way open, thats why it lets too much water through it,

does it look like all the way open please have a look the photo attached in this post?

Im thinking only position the valve is not leak is all the way open, am I right?

cheers

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 46
  • shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 40
gate valves tend to become useless about 5 years after fitting in my experience

There should be a shroud over that. Put it back on and nip it up, it seals the gland.

thanks for your advice,

I dont wanna try it now, cos Im planning to replace it in this coming weekend,

thank you very much indeed

if I buy 22mm straight ABV for 15mm pipe then what kind of reducer I have to use ?
any web link or photo are there please?

it might be one end is 15mm compression and the other end is just 22 mm pipe?
cheers

You have 3 options

1: get two 3/4 to 15mm female irons and use some pride/loc55 on the bypass threads

2: get two long internal 22mm - 15mm reducers (soldered)

3: get two pieces of 22mm tube and solder some external / use couplings and reducers

You have 3 options

1: get two 3/4 to 15mm female irons and use some pride/loc55 on the bypass threads

2: get two long internal 22mm - 15mm reducers (soldered)

3: get two pieces of 22mm tube and solder some external / use couplings and reducers

I prefer first one cos im avoiding soldering.

So is it the one you said in option one? Please click on the next weblink.
15mm x 3/4'' Compression Female Iron Coupling

Also can I use ptfe instead of thread sealant loc55?

Last edited by a moderator:
System might not even need the bypass if it's a y plan with a bypass radiator etc... I find a lot of old system just have them fitted. If you do replace it an auto one would be better than a gate valve type...

You have 3 options

I bought what you said here, but 3/4 female connector doesnt fit, the female connector is little small for 22mm compression thread

I bought following coupler from screwfix, Female Coupler 15mm x ¾" | Compression Coupling | NoLinkingToThis

Or did I buy wrong one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cant find 15mm bypass valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock