Discuss Can't get rid of the smell of gas sewerage leak, under my kitchen sink. in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

There is no smell coming out of my sink plughole, never has been.
There are no water leaks in the piping and U-bend under my sink.
Have tried on several occasions using very strong drain un-blocker and odour remover, to remove smell, but has not worked.
Sink plughole never blocks up and water runs freely and quickly through plughole.
Sewerage gas smell, seems to come from both threads/nuts at both ends of U-bend and the thread/nut where it joins the waste pipe and finally another thread/nut on the waste pipe, where the pipe disappears through kitchen cupboard and into the cavity wall.
I live in a first floor flat, above me is another flat, with the kitchen directly above me.
Below me is the ground floor and I'm directly above their bathroom/toilet.
The main waste pipe is in the cavity wall behind my kitchen cabinet, which runs from upstairs down to the ground floor and joins the sewer I presume.
The upstairs flat experience no smell in their kitchen or bathroom whatsoever.
Plus the downstairs flat also experience no smell in their bathroom/toilet and kitchen.
This has been going on constantly all this year and sometimes despite the kitchen cupboard under the sink, with the door firmly closed the smell of sewerage is over-powering.
Hope you can kindly advise me what to do.
I'm on low income, an old age pensioner and rent my flat privately.
Unfortunately landlord simply suggested that I try using baking powder and white vinegar to remove smell.
So far this has been unsuccessfully.
What would you advise me to tell my landlord how to fix it himself.
As I feel he is reluctant to use the services of a professional plumber.
I look forward to everyone's reply.
Thank you kindly in advance for all your help and support now.

Hi WC1, thanks for your reply, just when I think I've more or less pinned down the source, it seems to jump about, but on the whole, I think I'm getting closer. Used to think, that it was coming from behind the cupboard. But now it seems to be coming from both seals on the U-bend and occasionally outside the cupboard, at the same level as my head.

Disconnect the U-bend and remove any stagnant water remaining in the sink overflow and washing machine waste pipe. Buy a 40mm compression blanking cap and fit it on the pipe coming out of the wall. Ventilate the kitchen and wait to see if the smell returns. If the smell is still there then it must be a leaky pipe in the wall cavity.

Hi Dan 1990, many thanks for your informative reply, in my little knowledge, all that you say, sounds very logical and a good way of eliminating and narrowing down the problem.
[automerge]1595795120[/automerge]
Thanks Mdljk

Last edited:
Hi Ben-gee, thanks for your reply, can't pretend this thought has already run through my head. Can only hope my landlord, tells his workmen to do a thorough investigation, next time they visit, as all this is totally knew to me and the more I learn, I realise the less I know!!

Another time a nasty drain smell turned out to be 1/2 lb of mince beef put into a microwave to defrost and forgotten about!

That I traced with my considerable hooter, when I opened the door I gagged and my eyes were watering...f**kwit tax had to be added to that job.

Another time a nasty drain smell turned out to be 1/2 lb of mince beef put into a microwave to defrost and forgotten about!

That I traced with my considerable hooter, when I opened the door I gagged and my eyes were watering...f**kwit tax had to be added to that job.

Was there all kinds growing on it as well? 🤢🤢🤢

Good news!!......continuing to use baking powder and white vinegar the last few days. Finally the smell has gone completely.
Many thanks for all your patience, help and support, whilst I was trying to get this problem resolved, it really was appreciated. stay safe.

I had a kitchen sink waste trap smell for a long time. I took out all the waste pipes underneath the sink and cleaned them all , there was a little bit of gunge stuck in them. Still had the smell now and then ,more so when any hot water went down the sink. I was convinced that the u bend was holding water o.k so was baffled as to the problem. I could not find a forum or website with the answer to my problem which is why I'm writing this. It turned out to be my sink waste, I can only assume that the original seal or plumbers mait had slowly washed away to the extent that food particles fed into the gap between top and bottom section of the waste. There was no obvious sign of this happening and I can only assume that when anything hot went down the sink the gap must have expanded a fraction ,just enough to let crap into the gap. It was only by pure chance and a suggestion from my wife that as a last resort I would fit a new waste trap. when I removed the old one it immediately became obvious that this was where the smell originated. there was a layer of black smelly gunge where the seal was. Fitted new trap and no smell at all, fantastic. I must point out that the original seal or putty cannot have washed away completely as I never had a leak underneath the sink.

Reply to Can't get rid of the smell of gas sewerage leak, under my kitchen sink. in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back