Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss capacitors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
could anyone tell me if i replaced a 4uf with a 4.5 uf on a rdb would it harm the motor or is it ok to do it.im thinking its not.

Shouldn't go bigger either according to my spark, however can get away with 10% larger he says so should be OK.

Sorry to reopen an older thread but I seem to be at a loss to remember wether the resistance on the capacitor is around 100 ohms or 2200, I have these 2 figures in my head but can't rightly remember which is which.
cheers. Stani

It's no problem replacing the capacitor with one bigger just make sure it's rated at roughly the same voltage ie at 200v and not 400v. As for measuring resistance as far as I know you can't as it shows up as infinite, you have to measure the capacitance to check it and not a lot of meters are able to measure capacitance (its uF on a meter).

Occasionally if you replace like for like it still won't turn the motor if the motor is on its way out. Go slightly larger.

I had a motor stop running which was fitted with a 3 mf capacitor. A new 3 mf capacitor wouldn't turn it so I fitted a 4 mf one which worked. Nothing to lose if the motor fails but 5 years on the motor is still running fine.

Can't believe I was trying ohms for a capacitator, I think it's time for me to be put out to grass. Lol. thanks for the replies lads.

There is a mode on my multimeter for capacitors....but I've never used it.

Also remember if you change the bearings especially to the rubber seal type, the armature may be a little stiff to begin with and take some setting going.

oi oily, we work on 240v round here and used to back when this was first posted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to capacitors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock