Search the forum,

Discuss Cash for scrap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjt

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
My local scrappy has emailed me saying that with the new laws they can only pay by cheque or onto a card- we all know that!!!
however they have said that they will also offer to cash the cheque for you immediately for a 3% commission charge!
Two issues with that:
1- robbing bar stewards
2- surely that defeats the whole object of no more cash for scrap
to be fair they still give you a voucher for free bacon roll when you weigh in!!!

Unless they are licensed credit brokers like The Cheque Centre, then it's illegal for them to offer a cheque cashing service.

That's a bit like saying " We'll pay you by cheque, because that's the new rules, but give us the cheque back and we'll pay you cash instead but minus 3%".

HMRC would love this one.

Unless they are licensed credit brokers like The Cheque Centre, then it's illegal for them to offer a cheque cashing service.

That's a bit like saying " We'll pay you by cheque, because that's the new rules, but give us the cheque back and we'll pay you cash instead but minus 3%".

HMRC would love this one.

Different set of regulations - they would need to be a registered money service business HMRC link which is part of the money laundering regs.

I haven't read it all the way through, but it looks like a scrappy in a relatively small business could operate as described without registering.

Part of me things "robbing bar stewards", other part thinks "darn it, why am i not that business savvy? Basically giving 3% less than 2 weeks ago.... and everytime the copper scrapt price increases so can the commission for changing the cheque to cash !

mine found out that the scrapmen were taking the cheques to cash convertors and paying 10 % to change them maybe your man has done a deal where he gives the cheques to CC and does it at a reduced rate as they can be fairly certain the cheque will be good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cash for scrap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My account is very active and sent me this, might be helpful to some? Self-employment Income Support Scheme If you are self-employed or a member of a partnership and you have lost income due to coronavirus, you may be able to claim a taxable grant worth 80% of your trading profits up to a...
Replies
Views
Hi Friends As a one man band & not earning loads I use my personal nationwide current account. I pay in cheques, receive & make electronic transfers. I never have any cash to pay in & I pay for everything with my MasterCard which I pay off via my bank account (again via electronic transfer)...
Replies
Views
E
Have just finished loading the van for the last cash run to our scrappie. As of the 3rd of December it will be cheque or transfer apparently. This was one of the last few perks we had so well done the government on introducing a law that will not discourage the toe rags who desecrate war...
Replies
Views
P
had this email today ATTN: THE MD/CHAIRMAN, My name is S.Richard Austin, Singaporean; I am the survived bookkeeper of Mortgage & Security Company in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). I got your contact from international directory while searching for a trusted and capable businessman or...
Replies
Views
Guest123
G
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock