Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss catastrophic flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

well, just had a call out at 6pm this evening.

owner had been away for 3-4 days came home to a total, and i mean total flood.
when i arrived the guy who was sitting in the car got out and re-opened the front door for me to be greeted with a rush of water over the threshold......no rush then i thought.lol.

50 gallon tank in loft with 2'' of ice on it burst,
rising main to said tank split.
feed to h/w cylinder blown an end feed off,
heating feed blown a compression off.
h/w cylinder split.
the water content in the loft was actually running along the tops of the joists.eh!
water pouring from every sq foot of ceiling in the house.

well, i capped all the pipes, left it to drain down and did what i could which should do the trick as the mains stopcock had failed and the boundary cock chamber had collapsed so unable to turn water supply off in the street and left them to call severn trent to sort it out.
the big eye opener was the custard had just recently finished refurb the house and told me he had turned the heating on to low whilst he was away and had the loft newly insulated. should of seen his face when i asked him how does the warmth of the house keep the frost of the pipes in the loft then.. next time open the loft hatch.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
nice cash earner though.

happy new year.

`

jesus what a mess ,had one like this last year,2 story flat top one unoccupied landlord did not think both tanks froze blew cold main apart both flats wrecked all trough lack of common sense ,still nice earner redsaw

I had one like this last year. House unoccupied for over a month with mains pressure coming in for at least a week. No ceilings left, no plaster left. Fixed one burst, turned water on. Another burst further along the pipe. Ended up re-fitting about 8 meters of pipe. Turned water on to find it gushing out of hot water cylinder (which had frozen too).

One floor had risen about a foot, one or two joists nearly rotted through.

No furniture in the house as it was waiting to be let or sold.

Said I wanted to get another plumber in before I did more fixing but was told I couldn't be much good. :mad:

Over a year later house is still unoccupied and still unsold - no bids at the auction either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to catastrophic flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock