Search the forum,

Discuss centering toilet/waste but joist in the way in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all - newby here just hoping someone might come up with a clever solution to my problem. Recently put a toilet in, and although I can live with it the way it is, I'd like to see if there is some way I can move it slightly to the left, and have it centered in the space it sits in, see attached. Trouble is there is a joist directly below it. So the pan connector has to go either to the left of the joist, or to the right of it, as it currently is. Other than removing the joist, (not really an option anymore), is there something I can do? I'd like to keep it up against the wall, but flexible pan connectors might not allow me to do this. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks. Steve

Attachments

• IMG20211209174651.jpg
    IMG20211209174651.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 13
Where does the soil go? Is it under the floor and then straight out? Is it a back to wall toilet? I'm sure you understand already but it could be very difficult at this stage with walls tiled etc.

Where does the soil go? Is it under the floor and then straight out? Is it a back to wall toilet? I'm sure you understand already but it could be very difficult at this stage with walls tiled etc.
Hi there - thanks for getting back to me. Not completely back to wall. You can see some of the pipework. And yes soil pipe goes under floor and then out. Yep I know at this point it might be a lost cause!

If it goes straight out, assuming it's an external wall, could you not redo the soil waste to exit through the wall behind the toilet in the central position you want and they re-jig the waste externally to accommodate the move; ie lose the waste under the floor and just leave straight out behind toilet. Not easy as tiled but not too bad if you can just pop one tile off to drill. Just an idea.

If it goes straight out, assuming it's an external wall, could you not redo the soil waste to exit through the wall behind the toilet in the central position you want and they re-jig the waste externally to accommodate the move; ie lose the waste under the floor and just leave straight out behind toilet. Not easy as tiled but not too bad if you can just pop one tile off to drill. Just an idea.
Hi - yes, i see what you mean. Thank you. I've yet to get building regs round and not yet signed off, so maybe this is an option once they have visited. Not sure I want to suggest it to them! Do you have any experience with flexible connectors? So many on the market, I thought I might try that as a first option. Just not sure what to buy

There should be no problem with building regulations as long as the external waste is sorted correctly.
Regarding flexible connectors I'm not a big fan of them, especially if you are trying to squeeze them in. If I have to use them I generally stick to Viva or Macalpine but make sure they are not under stress when fitted.

Tbh there’s no option other than to move the soil pipe even a flex wouldn’t move it over that much as there’s not much space in the pan connector void might move it over 10-15mm but that’s it

Might be easier can the vanity unit be moved over so the same gap ?

Tbh there’s no option other than to move the soil pipe even a flex wouldn’t move it over that much as there’s not much space in the pan connector void might move it over 10-15mm but that’s it

Might be easier can the vanity unit be moved over so the same gap ?
Hi there - 10-15 cm might be enough though. The real issue for me is im left handed, and not much room for me to do my business without hitting the wall! So even if it wasn't in the center, just moving it 10/15cm would be a real improvement. Is there a certain type of flexible pan connector that would work?

Depends on soil pipe location but either a straight flexi or bent one will do

Reply to centering toilet/waste but joist in the way in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock