Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating cleaner in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Can leaving cleaner in for too long before a boiler swap cause issues? The ideal boilers cleanser says leave in for between 1 hour and a week. Would leaving in for a couple of weeks really cause issues?

Whatever it was designed to do would have been done in the first week, so I suppose the effect of the extra week might depend on whether the cleaner was overwhelmed by the quantity of debris (in which case you're just running a very dirty system with free gunk circulating) or whether it had oomph left in which case then it might start attacking system components.

Sentinel advises X400 is a marathon runner whereas the X800 is a 100m sprinter. They do the same thing but take different amounts of time to do it (but the slow approach is supposedly better, if you have the time).

Interestingly, I once went the whole hog with a relatively small system and (following Sentinel's best practice advice) circulated X400 for a month before the flush itself. In theory the X400 should have already shifted quite a lot of debris. In practice, the X400 (which I drained out) did not actually appear to have removed an awful lot, and when I powerflushed with Fernox DS40, there was still an awful lot of magnetite and scale in the system. Perhaps the X400 had helped soften it all up with the consequence that the flush itself was more successful, or perhaps it was a total waste of time; without comparing with an identical un-pre-treated system, it's hard to know.

X800 is fine upto two weeks I think I remember it’s either one or two

2 weeks for x800 I think, honestly not that convinced on those cleaners, the info says its like 6.8ph iirc and that's not exactly strong. Maybe there's something else in it but I don't know. if you can leave it in for 2 weeks then I'm gonna assume whatever would start happening that's bad would probably have started happening by that point.

2 weeks for x800 I think, honestly not that convinced on those cleaners, the info says its like 6.8ph iirc and that's not exactly strong.
Well, it's interesting what Fernox told me. They were advertising F8 and I questioned how a PH neutral formula could work as a descaler. I received a detailed reply which included the following information:

[...] the neutral pH cleaner will not react directly with hardened limescale deposits. Loose non-adherent limescale deposits/particulates would be assisted in removal during the flushing process. If limescale dissolution is the primary purpose of a clean then an acidic cleaner such as Fernox DS40 should be used.

Thanks when draining after having the cleaner in do you need to fill and flush again after the initial drain down to get rid of the cleaner fully?
Yes
Hot flush and cold flush is advised I believe.
I like a good mains flush, filling loop onto the flow and drain point or filter drain on the return and blast some cold water around the system

Thanks it's a rapid dose cleaner. Not used before says they can be added to the system via the filling loop. But does the pressure need taking off the system first?

Yep if you have a dosing pump or a adapted plant spray to get it in under pressure , if not isolate a rad at the valves drop the water out a wet vac is best then you can dose via the 1/2" plug Screwfix do a dosing adapter cheap as chips . Kop

Well, it's interesting what Fernox told me. They were advertising F8 and I questioned how a PH neutral formula could work as a descaler. I received a detailed reply which included the following information:

[***] the neutral pH cleaner will not react directly with hardened limescale deposits. Loose non-adherent limescale deposits/particulates would be assisted in removal during the flushing process. If limescale dissolution is the primary purpose of a clean then an acidic cleaner such as Fernox DS40 should be used.
Exactly, it's nonsense imo, it's got that feel good factor though as you're doing it I guess.

Reply to Central heating cleaner in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock