Discuss Central heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rockinter

Well, I had a brand new Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 boiler fitted 3 years by a corgi registered person after my old boiler had its days after 15 years.

Since that day I have had nothing but trouble with the boiler.

After 4 weeks of fitting the boiler it started to make a lot noise, then temperature on the boiler should it went to 74C then cut off. It then bought up an error of f23.

We rang up Vaillant as it was under guarantee. The Vaillant engineer came and said the secondary heat exchanger had blocked up because the system has not been flushed properly. The engineer opened up the boiler and cleaned out the heat exchanger in front of us. It had black bits in the 2 holes which are linked to the radiator system.

So we then rang the person who fitted the boiler. He firstly denied it was his fault. Saying he had already powerflushed the system when fitting the boiler. We got the manufacturer to ring him. He then rang us back saying he would do a powerflush a second time but after that if anything happened it would not be his fault.

So the boiler person came and powerflushed the system, he spent the whole day doing it. Going to each radiator turning the valves on and off.
Then after 2 weeks the boiler started to do the same thing as before stopped working. So we got some other plumbers to give their opinion.

One said fit a Magnaclean. So we fitted a Magnaclean. But still the boiler had same trouble of heat exchanger getting blocked.

Another plumber said fit a Y strainer. So we fitted a Y strainer. Still we had the same trouble.

Another plumber said fit Auto valves on the highest points, so you don’t have air in the system. We did that but still had the same trouble.

We then rang Vaillant to say that we are still having the problem. The engineer came back, showed us the black bits coming out of the heat exchanger. He said one of radiators must be corroding that is why the stuff keeps coming.

So then we changed all the radiators. And now still we have the same problem and also the guarantee has finished so i can’t go back to the manufacturer. It has just become one big headache. I feel like throwing the boiler out.

Some more information:
I contacted magnaclean, and there system doesn’t seem to capture all the magnetic bits because the water comes in at such high pressure and they are so small. Also the y strainer doesn’t capture the bits as they are so small. It seems the secondary heat exchanger collects all the small bits and they become big bits and block up the heat exchanger. The bits are magnetic, I tried it with a magnet.

Over the 3 years i have put the following cleaning agents and inhibitors into the radiator system to solve the problem but none of them worked fernox f3 cleaner, fernox f3 superconcentrate central heating cleaner, fernox f1 superconcentrate central heating protector, Sentinel x400, Sentinel x100, B&Q cleaner, B&Q inhibitor.

Once the pressure is filled in the radiator system it doesn’t lose pressure.
The bits in heat exchanger are big black and magnetic. The bits on the magnaclean are fine soot like.

So has anyone got any solutions to why this is happening and what is the solution?

I really need your help!

I had a brand new Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 boiler fitted
That's a combi boiler

It then bought up an error of f23.
That means: Water shortage, temperature difference between flow and return NTC too large. The cause: Pump blocked or defective, pump output too low, flow and return NTC interchanged.

The Vaillant engineer came and said the secondary heat exchanger had blocked up
Do you mean the plate heat exchanger (rectangular box) for the Hot Water system or the main heat exchanger (big round thing at top of boiler)?

So the boiler person came and powerflushed the system, he spent the whole day doing it. Going to each radiator turning the valves on and off.
On the face of it, he did the job properly.

do you possibly have any iron pipework in the system, connected directly to any copperwork?
also can you make clear if the radiator system is vented or sealed?

well be pointless putting auto air vent on then , can you get him to drain the system from boiler clearing all muck in pipes above and possibly boiler aqnd then connect a flusher to the flow and return pipes that should surely sort it ?

i guess i could connect a power flusher. But i am thinking is it worth it considering the installer has done it twice already?
Also if i fit it to the flow and return pipe wouldn't that leave out the boiler?

we had a similar problem with a vaillant despite powerflushing it we solved it by putting 3 gallons of flushing agent into the system running it for a week and totally reflushing with a better machine with a mag filter on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock