Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Charging for annual service plus parts. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi,

when doing a boiler service (or any appliance). Say you charge £80 for example, to strip down, clean and test accordingly. What about other bits such as burner seals/gaskets that should be changed once removed etc. Do you add these on or do customers expect these included in the service price?

Might seem like a stupid question but I could imagine charging for a service and the customer not expecting to pay for anything on top that was needed. Depending on the price of any bits could find you're making next to nothing for the job.

Just charge for a service. You don't have to change seals and gaskets on every service. If you go to a service and find it needs a full strip down and seal and gaskets changes then just advise that it needs doing.

If they don't want you to do the extra work then just AR/ID the boiler and leave.

Its just the same as an MOT or service or your van, you wouldn't expect the mechanic to fit parts on your van that have failed on the MOT for free in with he price of the MOT.

I ask how long since it's been serviced. If more than a year I tell them that seals might be needed, chargeable extra. If they are not needed once I've stripped down, then I let them know, and don't charge.

Excellent. Thanks for the replies, pretty much what I expected.

I tell customers no parts included in the service, I also ask iff there's any faults they want me to look at. They normally tell you, I then tell them if a service will cure it or not.

I love service repairs........ Well it just needs a service ..... Can you come today? It's not been service d for ten years but it's imperative that it's serviced today!

I love service repairs........ Well it just needs a service ..... Can you come today? It's not been service d for ten years but it's imperative that it's serviced today!

And the "It needs a service because it loses all its pressure every couple of days"...

And the "It needs a service because it loses all its pressure every couple of days"...

its amazing what people expect.

I turned up to a one off service for BG yesterday and when I got there asked if there was anything wrong, they said no.

I ran ran the hot tap and it went hot then cold then hot then cold, then I ran the heating and the pressure went all the way up to 3+ bar.

I then found a leak under the boiler on the return union, looked like it had been leaking for ages.

I went into into the living room to tell the customer what I'd found and that really it needed a repair, and she said "well you're here to service it, it will all be done on the service"

i said no and she didn't like it much, after talking to her, she admitted she knew off all the faults and was going to call BG after I left and blame me.

I cant belive what some people expect :-(

So how did you leave it tom? I woulda flat out refused to touch it after that !!

Yeh I mean a service from BG being more than fga and a quick Hoover! ;)

Just taking mick. BG have some good lads .....,,, they top up pressure!!!

So how did you leave it tom? I woulda flat out refused to touch it after that !!

I just left it, told her I could probably sort the pressure rise problem on the service but the others would need a repair.

I spoke to my manager and left

Tom u must get it all the time off custards tho..... Can you just change this and say it was a service or complaining because you stuck to your guns but then cust care tell you to do it any way??

Funny thing is we have the bad reputations, but I'm sure more customers try to con us than the other way round.

its amazing what people expect.

I turned up to a one off service for BG yesterday and when I got there asked if there was anything wrong, they said no.

I ran ran the hot tap and it went hot then cold then hot then cold, then I ran the heating and the pressure went all the way up to 3+ bar.

I then found a leak under the boiler on the return union, looked like it had been leaking for ages.

I went into into the living room to tell the customer what I'd found and that really it needed a repair, and she said "well you're here to service it, it will all be done on the service"

i said no and she didn't like it much, after talking to her, she admitted she knew off all the faults and was going to call BG after I left and blame me.

I cant belive what some people expect :-(

Silly bint needs a prod in the eye with an attitude like that :furious3:

No, don't charge any more for BBU as they're so basic and can still be done in my 1 hr time frame :)

1hr for a service ? Blimey. Normally strip clean and reassemble a logic in 10 mins 10mis for paperwork and checks. Ecotec and most tubulars about 15mins. If it's a worster botch kebab can be longer . Isar icos about same as a logic. Floor stander is a bit longer and a bf like Apollo takes seconds.

Allow 45mis to hr for service inc driving so normally get 8 in a day? Love it when free services and no one in though as next visit is charged.

I budget an hour for a service. TT, check operation, check flue/ventilation. Strip down, clean, reassemble, test safety devices. Run for a bit while filling out paperwork, do gas rate, fga where required. Get custard to sign, flop remains of brew, pack up and haularse.

Doesn't take an hour but I'd rather go at a leisurely pace whilst having a chat. I find a good bit of work comes from getting to know the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Charging for annual service plus parts. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock