Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Chasing pipework up behind radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jampot

I'm installing a fully new combi oil central heating system and don't want the pipework to the rads showing through the floors. I've chased the walls up from the floors to a height of 8 inches and fixed single back boxes. The bottom of these will be about 2 inches above the bottom of the radiators and centred. I'm going to be connecting 15mm hep20 pipe in unbroken runs from the manifolds to the radiator valves, so there will be no joints or elbows under the floors or embedded in the plaster whatsoever. My concern is with the 120mm upside down u-bend the pipes will make coming up from the floor through the backbox and then bending down again to connect into the radiators. I cannot chase the pipework down to the rads, so does anyone forsee a problem with airlocks here?
The manifolds will be upright inside stud walls. Water obviously will flow vertically into these manifolds then descend again, so they are a sort of upside down u-bend in a way.

I'm a DIYer, hence the concern.

Incidentally, I got two quotes of £9500 from two plumbers to do the work. I've bought all the materials for less than £4000, so I don't understand why plumbers quote so much. If they did the work in less than two weeks that would be £2500 a week in the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incidentally, I got two quotes of £9500 from two plumbers to do the work. I've bought all the materials for less than £4000, so I don't understand why plumbers quote so much. If they did the work in less than two weeks that would be £2500 a week in the pocket.
And that quote my friend is why you'll probably not get much help. That £2500 a week "in pocket" as you state pays for so many things that you've not bothered to ask about. Public liability, van insurance, wear and tear on tools, quality materials not internet or Chinese rubbish, then a guarantee of said materials if something goes wrong. We don't have to buy materials from the cheapest place, we will have built up a professional relationship with a merchant or merchants which again takes time and money. He has overheads such as training and affiliations to be able to give you the quality service that customers deserve. You get years of experience that a diyer doesn't have, you seem very quick to forget that it is in fact you asking for help from experienced tradesman, for free I might add. There are loads more costs running a business but I'm not wasting my time posting them. How much do you think we the lowly plumber should earn your grace, we are actually allowed to make a profit over the top of everything above you know.

Last edited:
Another deluded customer! And yet you don't want pipes coming through the floor but your happy to see nasty plastic pipe hanging out of the wall, you will never make the plastic look nice

Last edited:
Have you added in your building control notification and inspection?

You would not be just paying for time but also knowledge, which would then mean you wouldn't have to come on here asking stupid questions.

Did your materials include your bunded oil tank?

15mm plastic coming through back boxes! Well there's something to behold?

Last edited:
If the O.P had missed the last paragraph off then the advice would have been to not do what is proposed but would have included some alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chasing pipework up behind radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
I am doing heavy house renovation and want to have ufh (multizone) at the ground floor and radiators on upper floors. I want to have consistent...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
M
Hi.I have 6 caste iron rads and want to connect them all the lines are in with the stubs sticking out of the wall. There are two manifolds down...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock