Search the forum,

Discuss Cheeky Scrappies! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Taken out an old 2300 by 300 rad early morning left outside by the road valves on and all stood there upright all day as I worked away. Near finish time I popped outside to have a look and it was gone! Hurrah I though. Full of cheer I finished off the job packed up and went to the van. There I see the old rad laying down now, with no valves now. Sludge everywhere.

The cheek!

What do you guys do with old rads?

That made me chuckle, even the scrappies don't want the metal now because it's all but worthless! Normally one will take them before the day is done tho.

I used to have a bloke who would come and collect them. Now he wants me to pay him so I just drive them to the scrappie myself.

Yeah used to have 6 scraps in my phone, most have given up now and the ones that have not dont want the iron. luckily i have a scrap metal dealer on my way home from the city centre so i now just drop it off to them - for free just to get rid of it.

store them in garage until its worth his time to visit..

Depends how full the lock up is, sometimes we store all the scrap till there's a van full sometimes we just give it away, once had 8 boilers 28 rads and a load of copper/brass, the van was on the floor, still didn't that much

Apparently iron is ÂŁ12 a tonne. Pumps and fans slightly more.

Scrap worthless whilst shiny new tubes are as expensive as ever. Something is wrong here..

Scrap worthless whilst shiny new tubes are as expensive as ever. Something is wrong here..
Speaking to my merchants and he was saying the price of copper would be falling by 1% soon, I said it's funny how scrap copper is worth sweet FA I've got a cylinder and a load of scrap to take in but can't be bothered with it at the moment and he said wait for a month or 2.

So hopefully the price will go back up but as I said I can't see that happening anytime soon unless China start buying like mad again.

I usually drop off for free any steel (rads, boilers etc) to a very decent scrap man I know. Not worth it for him to collect it at moment.
Copper and brass I keep until it gets decent money, but not looking good yet

Took 760kgs of of rads to scrappy last Friday.................ÂŁ22

Took a big mixing bucket of brass to the scrappies today and a few bags of copper and braisery, was expecting about ÂŁ150, got ÂŁ70...
Either the price has gone to poop or I'm getting so weak that I think it weighs more than it does ;)

Took a big mixing bucket of brass to the scrappies today and a few bags of copper and braisery, was expecting about ÂŁ150, got ÂŁ70...
Either the price has gone to poop or I'm getting so weak that I think it weighs more than it does ;)
I think its more hassle than its worth these days. I just give my copper to my new guy he takes the rads then and any odd rubbish

I had someone steal an old S trap pan outside a job I was doing. I was delighted but no earthly idea why they'd want it.

I had half dozen rads outside on the pavement with a sign saying "free to a good home"; no takers!

Put them out the following day with a sign saying "Offers over ÂŁ5"

They were gone by lunchtime!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cheeky Scrappies! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hi All, My first visit here in quite a while and it's in part to share the news that I have finally gone over to the dark side! Although my 30 year old Baxi back boiler was still going strong, I've finally succumbed to pressure from Mrs RWD and had a Combi installed. The Heating Engineer that...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two separate TRVs I have tried, which happen to be... Basic programmable Bluetooth one that uses a motorised push-pin. Old basic TRV with settings 0-5. On...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock