Search the forum,

Discuss Christmas working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Who's working over Christmas....employed or self employed?

I'm finishing on friday 20th and off until the 6th Jan.
Always take 2 weeks off unless we get a right cold spell and a load of bursts but that doesn't happen too much like it used to. Houses are better het and insulated than they once were.

I finish on 21st and off to the Yorkshire dales for a week in a rented cottage with friends. Land Rover all set to go.

Finish two weeks today as two weeks tomorrow is the christmas party :) I wont be working from then until after christmas but nothing booked except two nights in york for new years eve and new years day.

But before all that i have two bathrooms to do, three showers to fit, 4 trvs plus new auto bypass and wire free programmable room stat to fit, an extra radiator, a centramag, three services and two power flushes.

Finish Xmas eve lunchtime, back in half-days for every day that isn't a bank holiday. Bah humbug.

If the work comes in. I will take it. Could be halfway through christmas roast. But they will pay a premium.

I've got work booked up until the 20th. After that if any calls come in I'll take them if I feel like it except for the weekend of the 28th/29th when I've got a schnauzer walk on the Saturday and a competition on the Sunday.

Last working day 16/12 back on 06/01

how is your poor merchant supposed to afford a turkey on half a months sales?

You should all be working up to midnight on Xmas eve, have christmas day off (and boxing day if you must) and then get back to productive purchasing!

BAHHH HUMBUG!

work over xmas and relax over the summer, no brainer really, then you miss the inlaws :)

Last 12yrs only had Xmas day and Boxing day off, been run ragged all over the place.
Found out this year that certain engineers have been allowed to take unpaid leave hence why I`ve been run ragged so I`ve booked the whole week off, won`t get paid but feck em!

xmas eve /xmas day/new year eve/new year day

in between days i will take calls but at a premium

Il just be doing callout. Out of interest what kind of rate will people be charging. I was doing double last year, but reckon that's too kind heheh

I finish on the 20th and go back on the 3rd.

When I first started doing this job and I was direct at the council/HA firm I did five years worth of callouts over Xmas and even when I worked doing my apprenticeship I worked part time in a shop and had to do Xmas then.

I hated every minute of it, couple that with the fact that all my friends, family and girlfriends used to be off for two weeks just made the whole experience worse.

When I started contracting I swore I'd never do it again, and I don't :)

i dont think there's any amount of money that could make me work over Xmas again, I really enjoy my time off now. I know I don't get paid for it, but during the summer months I do Saturday mornings which more than covers all my holidays through out the year.

Roll on the 20th December :) I can't wait

I have got a bunch of suckers with no plumbing experience running around doing little jobs, whilst I get wasted counting my pennies!! Lol only joking off from 20th to 2nd, I am wondering what people will be doing from 2nd to 7th!! Surely u will get bored!!

Finish on the 20th and be back on the 2nd, hopefully half day the 20th for a good few drinks! Will have to do two 24 hrs on call but no rota as yet….. not that i really want to but its give and take.

Last day 23rd, bk in on 6th jan. Only get paid half over xmas as ive changed jobs, more money, less responsibility, get to do more what i want, how i want and choice of contract work or private :) o... And hours are miles better

Last day 23rd, bk in on 6th jan. Only get paid half over xmas as ive changed jobs, more money, less responsibility, get to do more what i want, how i want and choice of contract work or private :) o... And hours are miles better 
hope it all works out for ya matey

Big job to finish on Monday, then small jobs for rest of week, maybe a few small jobs that come in between 16th to 20th then that's it until 6th January.
Answer phone message will be changed on both phones to make it clear I am closed 'til then.

3 boilers to do by next Friday, then not booking anything in the week before Xmas but will do callouts until Xmas eve, then nothing booked in until the 6th :)

I am wondering what people will be doing from 2nd to 7th!! Surely u will get bored!!

A few years ago i would go out just after the bells on the 1st and if she was lucky i'd be back for the 4th. Times have changed now and that doesn't happen

Self employed and will work if the phone rings, nothing booked in for over the festive period. If I'm not out working, I'm sure I'll be working at home. I'm sure SWMBO will let me have Christmas day off :santa_smiley:

I dont do Christmas Eve - after 16.00 - next day 05.00 but we have others that do

Other than that it rolls on as usual. Our obligations to the likes of Peverill mean on call
is a fact of life. CHK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Christmas working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock