Search the forum,

Discuss Chrome pipe bending and filing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
whats the best and quickest method of filing off the chrome plating on chrome 15mm copper? And is chrome pipe bendable? Any method I need to adopt to bend it?

Doing a job next week fitting 10 new rads and the woman wants all rads to have chrome pipework coming up from floor.

Just a normal file will be ok

And yes any good quality chrome copper will be fine just take it slowly and do a test bend first

Just a normal file will be ok

And yes any good quality chrome copper will be fine just take it slowly and do a test bend first
You reckon a dremel will be ok to use? Need it to be quicker than a file

You reckon a dremel will be ok to use? Need it to be quicker than a file

Normally file it off in less than 30 seconds

You can use a grinder with a sanding disc if you want it sharpish

use a rasp, bahco do a handy one, fine file on one side and a coarse rasp on the reverse.

use a rasp, bahco do a handy one, fine file on one side and a coarse rasp on the reverse.
I'll see if I can grab one and have a bash at the weekend.. cheers Tolly

Some brands of chromed copper pipe are easier to file the chrome off than others. Use a new flat file, keeping it totally flat against the pipe.
Maybe best where possible to just use straight piece of chromed pipe and a soldered elbow, to save you having to do machine bends
If you do have to bend chromed pipe, - use some oil on the bender and pipe. Note that the manufacturer will not guarantee the pipe if you bend it.

I use a grinder with a metal blade. But tbh, as long as your back to bright copper, your sorted

Or tell the woman to buy some chrome pipe snap covers! ;)
They look as good as real chrome if fitted well and you can replace them to have it looking good as new in the future. At least, that's the spin I use to save me filing bloody chrome off pipes!

Or tell the woman to buy some chrome pipe snap covers! ;)
They look as good as real chrome if fitted well and you can replace them to have it looking good as new in the future. At least, that's the spin I use to save me filing bloody chrome off pipes!

They don't do offset ones tho best

Definitely a file. I use one I got of me good Dad. It's about 30 years old. Problem is, I only have one on the van and when I want it I can never find it:p

Definitely a file. I use one I got of me good Dad. It's about 30 years old. Problem is, I only have one on the van and when I want it I can never find it:p
I used to be like that, now I'm anal about keeping my van tidy. After every job I put things back where they need to be, even if I'm in a rush. Cos I know the moment I just chuck it in the back I'm spending half hour looking for it next time lol

It is a problem with files, unless you have a handle on them - and a brightly coloured one, or they will blend in with other tools or lie on their edge.
I have loads of times searched my tool box I thought thoroughly and decided I had lost my file, only to find it in the same tool box later. :)

It is a problem with files, unless you have a handle on them - and a brightly coloured one, or they will blend in with other tools or lie on their edge.
I have loads of times searched my tool box I thought thoroughly and decided I had lost my file, only to find it in the same tool box later. :)

Normally after you bought a new one :D

Thing that annoys me is putting tools down in a job, you go to get it and it ain't there.. you search for 10 mins every where and it's in the same damn spot you first looked at.. does my head in lol

Normally after you bought a new one :D

Done that before a few times! That why I keep 2 of most tools, - if I can't find one spanner, I will probably find the second one and then stumble upon the first in a few days.

The work of a handyman and compressions.. lol I lowered it yesterday and changed the valves to straights and put a couple of offset bends

IMG_20170407_133647.jpg

The work of a handyman and compressions.. lol I lowered it yesterday and changed the valves to straights and put a couple of offset bends

And I think I see cheap isolating valves on the pipes as they come out of floor? Absolutely hate them and definitely not for heating pipes

And I think I see cheap isolating valves on the pipes as they come out of floor? Absolutely hate them and definitely not for heating pipes

I agree with that Sir. Horrible things and more often than not useless and leak !
I never use them on heating systems.
They seem to be on everything at the moment.

I agree with that Sir. Horrible things and more often than not useless and leak !
I never use them on heating systems.
They seem to be on everything at the moment.

I totally stopped using them even on cold supplies to toilets etc. I only use the good quality full flow valves on hot & cold supplies and I never use valves on heating pipes unless lever or gate valves that are there for good reason.
Too many DIY or " I am a plumber" type people doing plumbing who have no idea really. The isolating valves just makes their job easy to stop water flowing

Same here. I can't see the point in fitting restrictive leaky valves everywhere.
In my opinion, if you're a decent Plumber, you don't need them anyway. More often than not you can manage to shut off or drain something whilst you fix can't you?

It drives me insane, going to repair something only to find you have to replace the leaky isolation valve as well LOL.
Same with those quarter turn pump valves and drain taps at the bottom of the heating system that fill with gunk and the washer rots onto the seating.

Rant over !

Same here. I can't see the point in fitting restrictive leaky valves everywhere.
In my opinion, if you're a decent Plumber, you don't need them anyway. More often than not you can manage to shut off or drain something whilst you fix can't you?

It drives me insane, going to repair something only to find you have to replace the leaky isolation valve as well LOL.
Same with those quarter turn pump valves and drain taps at the bottom of the heating system that fill with gunk and the washer rots onto the seating.

Rant over !
Cannot stand quarter turn pump valves, if I need to change a pump and I see those my heart sinks.. I know the minute I turn it, if it turns at all, it will leak and won't stop. So always just replace them with gate pump valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chrome pipe bending and filing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock