Search the forum,

Discuss Clay drainage pipe advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonyacktar

Hi all

I have been asked by a customer to cut a channel in an old clay drain pipe and build a brick chamber/manhole around it to create an inspection chamber.
I have had some advice from an old timer who told me to dig to the bottom of the pipe but not under it and backfill with concrete half way up then slice the top off with a grinder and diamond blade and then brick up.

Has anyone done anything similar? any dos and don'ts

I suggested just cutting the pipe and inserting a plastic chamber and base but the customer wants to be able to put a slipper in sometime in the future rather than dig to the bottom of the chamber.

The old timers idea seems about right!, but building regs will want it done how you suggested!

In the 70s there was a minimum size for inspection chambers, this to allow man entry access. now there is a recommended maximum size to discourage man entry access. However, ever since the advent of flexible couplings rocker pipes should be provided either side of chamber to allow for differential settlement, this because pressure from direct loading on chamber differs from that on pipe buried in ground.
Cut clay pipe, length of chamber plus 600mm, keeping cuts well clear of any collars on existing clay. Then insert 300mm plpe either side of chamber and connect to existing with neoprene couplers. Provision for future connection can be made with external backdrop capped off until required.

Is this drain Surface or Foul and is it Shared or for sole use by this property?

If it's Foul and shared it's now belongs to the Local water company and you can't just go cutting into it anymore.

Is this drain Surface or Foul and is it Shared or for sole use by this property?

If it's Foul and shared it's now belongs to the Local water company and you can't just go cutting into it anymore.

Could you give a reference for this. I have an estate near me full of 1970s pitch fibre foul drains, serving multiple properties. Tree roots, surcharge from overburden and subsidence continue to be problem. The house owners would gladly pass on the responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Clay drainage pipe advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock