Search the forum,

Discuss CO results for inset fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Our CO alarms went off the other day. I did all the tests in manafacters instructions plus a few more to ensure fire is safe to use.

I conducted a combustion gas analysis and it threw up a surprising result.

CO2 6.0
Co 350
Ratio 0.0065

Now I would not usually feel happy about leaving this. However I have encountered higher than average results that manafacterers have told me are fine in the past.

I tried to contact manafacters tech help with no joy.

I just wondered if others have found these higher results with inset log fuel effect fires, (with very yellow flames)?

Also I thought of adjusting burner pressure but I don’t think you can and there is no pressure quoted in MI’s anyway :)

Did you test the room or the fire?
What is make and model?
Have you any experience with fires?

Sorry, I meant breadth of experience rather than "any"
Same as any job, and I genuinely mean no disrespect. It is one thing to have passed a course, another to have real time experience on a particular element of work.

An inset fire is always going to show "high" CO - they are designed to burn uncleanly. The important test is spillage.
I cannot think of a circumstance where I would risk my FGA sensor on an IF.

If there was any concern, I would do a 30 minutes centre of room test.

How did you test the fire?

No worries :) Thanks, I figured the results were ok, just a bit outside what I’d normally like to see. However I totally understand that in the case of inset fuel effect it is more about the look of the flames. This one was particularly yellow.
Yeah so the way I tested fire: Made sure fire installed according to MI’s. Functional tests. Flu flow test, spillage test, my own test where I put my probe around seals and top of fire to check for presence of POC, then in this case I put my probe inside the hood to see how it was actually burning, I also Gas rated it and did a tightness test. I also did a 30 minute centre of the room CO test and printed the results. I also tried to call Flavel tech help to no avail, then I thought I’d check out what others thought on here.

Somewhere buried in the BS standards is an acceptable ratio of 0.0100 for these types of fire.

That sounds right. I wasn’t sure. I remember 0.006 as being max for most appliances, with 0.004 being preferable. But for these fires 0.01 may well be right.
I’ve got my ACS renewal coming up so I’ll be sure to look it up before then :)

What do you mean why? The more gas you burn, the more Carbon is present. If it hasn’t the correct amount of oxygen mixed with it, it produces carbon monoxide at in-appropriate quantities.
the question still stands , why ? use you fga to test fire , you don't need too

Sorry mate. I was taking the mikey out of your appalling spelling and grammar. I am sorry that this has gone over your head. I’m unlikely to take your advice on gas engineering issues. This, as you don’t even seam to be able to write correctly.

Now that's not very nice dan

Please don't type something like that again

Sorry mate. I was taking the mikey out of your appalling spelling and grammar. I am sorry that this has gone over your head. I’m unlikely to take your advice on gas engineering issues. This, as you don’t even seam to be able to write correctly.

I think Mason had the upper hand as far as tech stuff goes. You don't need to FGA a fire of that type.

And, slightly amusingly, if you are going to pis& take on spelling, try to not spell "seem" wrongly :)

No, well as I said.... I know you don’t have to test these fires with FGA. However I always take the opportunity to better educate myself as a point of interest. It’s just a shame that some other engineers don’t do the same.

well done Dan the man jeez your cleaver :rolleyes:

No, well as I said.. I know you don’t have to test these fires with FGA. However I always take the opportunity to better educate myself as a point of interest. It’s just a shame that some other engineers don’t do the same.
your still not answering the question , why do you FGA gas fires ?? what exactly are you looking for ???;) what will this tell you that you would already know by checking like any normal gas engineer would do but i guess you still haven't a clue what your doing ;) maybe i can help and just maybe you might learn from somebody thats been doing it for decades ;) . what about doing/checking for sooting , ventilation , BP, pilot length , flue spillage/flow tests, cleaning lint arrestor , gas rate , flame picture, catchment space , testing FFD etc etc etc …….. certainly not FGAing a OF gas fire Dan the man :);)

Hey Shaun. Do us a favour, let me know how to delete this thread. I’m bored of it
before throwing insults you may need to look within yourself with fellow experienced engineers here when showing your immaturity and plain inexperience , so other words look ,learn and take note from these good people instead of trying to look big and at the same time looking/sounding like an idiot ;)

you still haven't answered my question and you keep swerving the question .
what are you looking for when FGAing a gas fire ?
maybe a little help … how does O2 effect your readings ?
what about levels of CO ?
:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CO results for inset fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock