Discuss CO results for inset fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Our CO alarms went off the other day. I did all the tests in manafacters instructions plus a few more to ensure fire is safe to use.

I conducted a combustion gas analysis and it threw up a surprising result.

CO2 6.0
Co 350
Ratio 0.0065

Now I would not usually feel happy about leaving this. However I have encountered higher than average results that manafacterers have told me are fine in the past.

I tried to contact manafacters tech help with no joy.

I just wondered if others have found these higher results with inset log fuel effect fires, (with very yellow flames)?

Sorry, I meant breadth of experience rather than "any"
Same as any job, and I genuinely mean no disrespect. It is one thing to have passed a course, another to have real time experience on a particular element of work.

An inset fire is always going to show "high" CO - they are designed to burn uncleanly. The important test is spillage.
I cannot think of a circumstance where I would risk my FGA sensor on an IF.

If there was any concern, I would do a 30 minutes centre of room test.

How did you test the fire?

No worries :) Thanks, I figured the results were ok, just a bit outside what I’d normally like to see. However I totally understand that in the case of inset fuel effect it is more about the look of the flames. This one was particularly yellow.
Yeah so the way I tested fire: Made sure fire installed according to MI’s. Functional tests. Flu flow test, spillage test, my own test where I put my probe around seals and top of fire to check for presence of POC, then in this case I put my probe inside the hood to see how it was actually burning, I also Gas rated it and did a tightness test. I also did a 30 minute centre of the room CO test and printed the results. I also tried to call Flavel tech help to no avail, then I thought I’d check out what others thought on here.

Somewhere buried in the BS standards is an acceptable ratio of 0.0100 for these types of fire.

That sounds right. I wasn’t sure. I remember 0.006 as being max for most appliances, with 0.004 being preferable. But for these fires 0.01 may well be right.
I’ve got my ACS renewal coming up so I’ll be sure to look it up before then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CO results for inset fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Replies
Views
Whyme
W

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back