Discuss Company or Self employed sub contractor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcwhittaker

I'm looking into doing a intensive plumbing course and was wondering wether its better at the end of it to go self employed or sub contracting or into a company. I've heard that sites, e.g. new builds don't really take people without experience, so i was thinking of going into a company to get experience.

good luck - loads of people in same boat and companies are wising up the the fast tracker

No-one will take you on unless you have served your time mate. Unless you are extremely lucky even at that you'll struggle to get paid anything decent.

The only intensive plumbing course that i know of that will make you decent plumber is a four year apprenticeship followed by a further six years experience. Even after this you will be learning for life.

Id work for your self youl earn ÂŁ50k in your first year easy.

We'll if it's anything to go by, we only consider engineers with a lot of experience and top qualifications. Our engineers are the face of our company, so they've got to be of a high standard!

Best of luck with whatever route you decide on. :)

good luck but lower your expectations so youll be less disapointed

If you're after honest advice here it is.

I spent a considerable amount of money 'retraining' as a plumber. Had I done a bit more research before, all of the information on the course was freely available on the internet.

I did a course with OLCI. They passed everyone and anyone who came through the door, so in effect the end qualification was worthless.

I would have liked to secure work with a plumbing company afterwards, but nobody would take me on as I was 'just another person doing a fast-track course'. Please realise, you come away from this course with nothing apart from some limited knowledge. What you learn on this course is such a far cry from plumbing in real houses.

This said, you certainly can be a success doing these courses and working on your own. It takes a LOT of hard work and I don't mind saying some stressful experiences. My first year was very stressful but now I am a confident plumber and I do all my own tiling/carpentry etc as well. Over the last 6 months I have stopped advertising and all my work is from my website or word of mouth.

As long as you recognise that the course you will be doing isn't worth the paper it's written on and that your first year will be very, very hard then it's worth considering.

I don't believe you need to do a 4-year apprenticeship to become a good plumber but the point is valid that you do need experience. 1 year should do the job in my opinion. That said, you never stop learning - the learnings just become less frequent.

Good luck!

good luck,
in the current climate,you wont get a job,think how many apprentice trained unemployed plumbers out there.
you will be lucky to get work un paid plumbing work.
its tough out there and will be for at least 2 years.
as an employer,i have 1 apprentices who we pay ÂŁ93 a week,young and keen.
if you go self employed make sure you have plenty of reserve money,and good pli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Company or Self employed sub contractor? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi, At Construction Skills College we offer an introduction to plumbing course that is aimed at people with little or no experience at all. We...
Replies
Views
davecsc
D
Replies
Views
applicator1
A
A
hey i know this may be better suited to the qualifications section but im brand new and in desperate need of help. ok if you was looking to hire...
Replies
Views
ashley1991
A
M
Hi, I have recently been made redundant and have decided to use the money I have been given to get my professional plumbing NVQ level 2/3 city and...
Replies
Views
Gray0689
G
S
if you have 6129 from OLCI or other training centre and go self employed before completing the NVQ side.. can you complete the NVQ asessments as...
Replies
Views
sandy
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock