Discuss self employed and progression in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sandy

if you have 6129 from OLCI or other training centre and go self employed before completing the NVQ side.. can you complete the NVQ asessments as self employed or do you have to be working for an experienced plumber?

I did nvq 2 and 3 through working for myself providing evidence on work undertaken and by working alongside/with a qualified rgi for the boilers and other gas related work, not easy but possible.

Thanks oldplumber... That's exactly what I wanted to hear.. I just need to find out what will happen when the new quals come out

if you don't mind oldplumber, how long did it take you to get fully qualified? I take it you started out as a wet only and worked up?

ello sandy i qualify in june my 6129 ive put a few biz cards out no jobs yet but thats the route i want to go how are u doing are u self employed

I spent 20 years doing up houses and moving up the ladder, my cousin was a time served heating engineer and showed us the basics to install ch systems, and he commisioned my first boiler (before corgi apppeared). I moved to devon 8 years back and ran a bb, prior to gutting it and turning it into flats and a house for the wife and kids. During the refurb which took 18 months for 3 flats I started a 6129 level 2. Then i took a year off to finish my place and a final flat (did most of the work myself hence the long timescale, but only had the bank to keep happy and no real pressure). Then went back to college to do a level 3 6129 and quickly knocked out nvq 2 and 3 using my flats and outside work I was doing at this time, for on site evidence. During the final year at college I used the rgi I had commisssion and installed my flat boilers for works experience required for acs quals. Did the acs exams in my final year at college, signed up with gas safe and tiddly ho off we went. The best bit being a lot of the customers who i had worked for doing small plumbing jobs had all been awaiting my gas quals and I have been installing a steady number of boilers for them since then. Be assured being nice to your customers whilst you are training pays dividends when you have all your tickets. Be assured that no matter how much experience you get during training, it never seems enough and you will always be learning, cultivate any contacts you get with other rgis as they are your best source of help when stuck wondering why the boiler in front of you still wont work when you have tested every last bit of it.

See guys I can be a positive little plumber (can I get sarcastic now? its more fun!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil - I'm still deciding which route to go down.. Probably do a course at olci or similar and follow the oldplumber template.. Cheers for that oldplumber, was good that you had plenty work to give you the on site stuff.. My parents are planning a refurb of their house, kitchen and bathroom.. Would make a cushy start to my portfolioof on site stuff..

Cheers again guys

Sandy – you definitely can do this, as oldplumbers story shows, but it helps to have a project to work on – the parents house sounds ideal. As he says though, you need to build your gas portfolio of evidence with a gas safe register engineer so you won’t be able to do that bit on your own if you take it that far. I’ve only done the NVQ2 so far but trying to squeeze in my L3 when I get a spare minute! Did all the basic through olci in Livingston, they sort out all the assessor visits for your nvq for you which was easy enough. Did the 8 week course before that which was good fun and taught me everything I needed before getting out there - practice makes perfect though, as they say.

Thanks for that tony.. If I go ahead with this, which is looking likely, I would be doing the training at olci Livingston aswell.. I live 20 minutes away from their centre.

Did you go it alone after completing the 6129? Are you going to do level 3 at olci aswell?

Hi All,

I'm due to start my 6129 at The Training Academy in Edenbridge, Kent next month. Looking forward to it!
Cheers
CJ

Thanks for that tony.. If I go ahead with this, which is looking likely, I would be doing the training at olci Livingston aswell.. I live 20 minutes away from their centre.

Did you go it alone after completing the 6129? Are you going to do level 3 at olci aswell?

i work at South Lanarkshire College in East Kilbride, we are running NVQ2 courses which lead to full ACS, 26 wks full time (invluding 10 wk placement), you should go online and get some info on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to self employed and progression in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock