Discuss Complete central heating system setup - advice please in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

P

phill bri

Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The system is up and running and works okay but I feel it could work alot better if it were setup properly. Im not a plumber and really understand how parts of the system work. I know the radiators need balanced, the circulation pump needs setup properly, as does the automatic bypass valve etc.

However im not sure where or which component to set up first or how they might need re-adjusted as i adjust the rest of the system. So im after some help of how to set things up please.

Details of system:

1930's 2 double bedroom house, 1 medium living room (rad), large kitchen diner (underfloor heating), upstairs large bathroom with towel rad, all rooms with radiators apart from kitchen with UFH. Underfloor heating system connects to central heating circuit like a radiator would, has a blending valve to set temperature, also a grundfos circulation pump. UFH system also has a temperature sensor so pump on comes on when pipe temperature achieved.

The house is due to have a extension with a further 2 bedrooms and games room (if you were thinking boiler maybe a bit big atm.

Worcester greenstar danesmoor utility Regular 18/25 oil boiler. fitted on ground floor (floor standing boiler) open vented regular boiler

Honeywell DU144 automatic bypass valve fitted between flow & return, instructions say to refer to table with boiler min flow requirement & pump curves for pump head, however i cant find this information? how do you work out pump head?

Vented indirect hot water cylinder (not yet heated by boiler, awaiting larger tank before connecting up, pipework currently isolated between mid position valve & tank inc return of course

Worcester magnetic filter fitted just before circulation pump which is just before boiler

Wilo -Yonos PICO 25/1-6 circulation pump fitted to boiler return pipe, between magnetic filter & boiler (always been advised to fit pumps to return pipe by old school plumbers, as pumps last longer due to less heat.) This is one of those differential pressure pumps that can be set to either variable or constant & both at different speeds.

All rads have TRV's & lockshields apart from towel rad in bathroom which just has manual valves.

Honeywell T6r smart thermostsat programmer

Honeywell V4073A MID position valve

Honeywell 10 way connection block

everything wired up and working apart from cylinder stat, will wire this up when cylinder changed out. The Hw system is turned of via programmer.

Rads and system all bled, rads all get nice and hot.

Boiler is on ground floor, magnetic filter and circulation pump next to it, bypass valve & mid position valve in airing cupboard with cylinder, header tanks in loft as vented system, pipework runs in 22mm circuit in ceiling with 15mm outlets & returns to radiators, inc underfloor heating.

I plan on balancing rads with my heat gun, i could also use this to see boiler flow & return temperatures, if thats helpful

Circulation pump wired into boiler, pump comes on with boiler, do I need pump overun?? (boiler manual states nothing on this.)

Current noticable problems:

biggest noticable problems - Boiler seems to be what id say is cycling, boiler doesnt run until the room stat reaches demanded temperature, will demand 21 & boiler will cut out when only 17 or 18c, a few minutes later boiler will re-start itself. The house will eventually reach temperature but shouldnt the boiler run untill temperature is reached? No ofset on stat either.

Now ive wired it exactly how all manuals state and the stat on the boiler itself is set to max. Could this be the boiler stat taking control or is the water in the boiler reached its max temp and stopping boiler? water is then cooling an then boiler comes back on? or is it a flow problem, water not moving through boiler fast enough or moving through rads too quick.

Other problem:

TRV's whine, whinning goes if you move trv, too much pressure from pump? bypass valve incorrectly set? (im overwhelmed as to what to adjust first and how it might effect other things.

UFH seems to have hot spots, is that normal? no cold spots

Sounds like a disaster when I read it back! im sure it just needs a good solid intial setup and then little fine tweeks.

hope you guys can help.

thanks

Ideally you should have the ufh on its own zone ?

You don’t need an auto bypass with a y plan ?

Is the pump wired to the boiler so it can control it ?

Boiler so be set to 65 dc

As for balancing on your rads your looking for a 10dc difference between flow and return

Sounds like maybe cheap trvs ?

Hot spots no who installed it ?

What pipe sizing did you do before you started? What size pipework have you fitted and is it plastic or copper.
Do you have a photo of boiler, pump and motorised valves?

Ideally you should have the ufh on its own zone ?

You don’t need an auto bypass with a y plan ?

Is the pump wired to the boiler so it can control it ?

Boiler so be set to 65 dc

As for balancing on your rads your looking for a 10dc difference between flow and return

Sounds like maybe cheap trvs ?

Hot spots no who installed it ?
Hi, boiler instructions said fit bypass, could the motorised valve block all routes if it were to fail? so best to have bypass? I guess i could adjust the bypass so it barely works?

Worcester have today told me the boiler doesnt need pump overun, pump is wired in with boiler so both come on together. also that the stat on the boiler just controls the temp in the heat exchanger not a room stat. worcester suggested the boiler is probably cycling as reaching max temp and may be a flow problem.

they are trvs from screwfix, come with rads cant remember make.

any ideas on how to set up bypass or these wilo pumps? UFH just needs setup really, much more even when run for a decent length of time. thanks

No that was for a s plan system y plan always has one open

Drayton are they all on the flow pipes eg the first ones to get hot ?

Hi, Yes all trv on flow pipes, lockvalves on returns, all lockvalves fully ope though as havnt balanced rads yet, thought i better adjust bypass valve and pump speed first.

thanks

Pump on return?
How are open vent and cold feed connected to system?
pump on return before boiler.

Open vent & cold water feed from loft tank are in airing cupboard on boiler flow pipe, 22m vent first then 15mm cold water feed, about 3-4 inches apart, both after bypass valve

Reply to Complete central heating system setup - advice please in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock