Search the forum,

Discuss Concealed valves and limescale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannnydan

Hi, I'm having a bathroom fitted as part of a refurb. I've bought concealed valves, shower rose, bath filler etc. However, the builder is strongly recommending against using them, saying that, as it's a hard water area, there would be problems and he won't guarantee the work. Is limescale really such a problem that I shouldn't use them (they are front-servicable)? I appreciate that the work is more than the simple exposed valves he had expected (we didn't initially specify anything, as it's a small part of the overall work), so would pay a bit more. But I would appreciate any thoughts on their use - they seem to be all over London, so I assume they can't be that bad! Thanks, Dan

Simple question to ask yourself is....how are your other taps/valves doing?

Sounds like the builder just doesn't want to do the extra work, could be wrong.

I've not had concealed ones before, but I suspect you're right about it just being a reluctance to do the work.

Builders know best. Personally i would fit the concealed valve.

Experience and logic says if you are spending a substantial amount of money doing a property refurb and you are going to live in the property and you are in a hard water area such as Greater London, why aren't you installing a water softener? You will save a small fortune on cleaning materials, soap powder, etc etc and never have to worry about lime scale. Average price installed is about £1500 but we often buy refurbished kinetico for £500 and they work just fine.
You can then have any shower valve you like, and your kettle and steam iron will never scale up!

Yeah, a water softener might be an idea, although even more money. What does the water taste like? I remember not liking soft Devon water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Concealed valves and limescale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I installed Jaquar Fusion thermostatic bath shower mixers during a conversion in 2007. I let the properties out. They have lasted pretty well with the thermostatic and diverter cartridges needing replacing every now and again - some are possibly still the original. Can't really complain about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Throughout our house there are numerous isolation valves which are on almost every plumbing fixture. Clearly whoever plumbed this had a thing for using them but I have heard elsewhere that they cause problems and are prone to leaking, especially when used after long periods. I noticed a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have I blend valve from Nu-Heat ( they bought it from Reliance, as per attached spec). I have dismantled the valve now 3 times and replaced it with new components from Nu-Heat but the valve is not working properly. The valve replacement seems very simple with 4 main components and some...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the boiler running again. The only reason it has not been used i so long is the the zone valve kept getting stuck (would have fixed this myself if i knew!)...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock