Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Conex iso valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are conex iso valves usually pretty reliable? I.e they won't leak from the slotted section on the valve years later if turned off and on for maintaince work.

Conex are a well known brand but if you want the best fit genuine Ball-o-fix valves or if space permits fit lever valves....regards Turnpin:biggrin:

another vote for level valves if you have the space

and find the full bore iso valves better (havent had a problem with one leaking yet)

Thanks its a conex valve thats already in place that's at question. Just heard a few stories of iso valves leaking when turned off and on again.

if it does just change it

As we know, the small bore standard cheap isolating valves are useless - breaking inside or leaking, plus they restrict flow.
The full flow versions are a lot better. If you look carefully inside them at the ball, you will see a white seal. That is a hard ptfe seal same as in a lever valve and should mean they are as good as a lever valve and hopefully won't leak. The cheap small bore isos only use a rubber seal.

As above, ^^ decent reliable valves make a future job easy.
I use full flow isolating valves on nearly all places that just require a slim isolating valve for occasional use, including toilets. For elsewhere on things that need just a hand turn valve, I use lever valves on all hot pipes, and most cold pipes and sometimes stopcocks on cold supplies and obviously on mains cold coming into buildings.
For where I need a small lever valve, but a quality one, like inline to a washing machine or on a filling loop to guarantee it lasts, I use the 15mm gas valve small lever valve. They might cost a couple of pounds extra, but well worth it.

Last edited:
another vote for level valves if you have the space

and find the full bore iso valves better (havent had a problem with one leaking yet)

I have actually run down my stock of standard ballo's and only using full-bore now; bit stiff to begin with but have soooooo much more confidence in them!

Thanks are boundary stop taps usualu ok to turn off and on is an old one wont turn by hand but a stop tap key will likely do it

Thanks are boundary stop taps usualu ok to turn off and on is an old one wont turn by hand but a stop tap key will likely do it

Yea should be ok might even be a square 1/4 turn

I have actually run down my stock of standard ballo's and only using full-bore now; bit stiff to begin with but have soooooo much more confidence in them!

Need a good screwdriver and work them a bit :D

They are very tight, but I guess that proves they are same as lever valves, with the ptfe seal nice and tight.

from new with no water i find they are but with water there fine (bit of lubrication :D)

from new with no water i find they are but with water there fine (bit of lubrication :D)

Slippy when wet.
Weird isn't it that ptfe is supposed to have the least friction of any material except 2 blocks of ice together, yet it needs water to lube it?

Slippy when wet.
Weird isn't it that ptfe is supposed to have the least friction of any material except 2 blocks of ice together, yet it needs water to lube it?

everything is better with lube :D

Lol! Open forum, so my lips are sealed, if you pardon the expression. :smile:

trust you to think that get your mind out the gutters

Are conex iso valves usually pretty reliable? I.e they won't leak from the slotted section on the valve years later if turned off and on for maintaince work.

Like with most things you've got a 50/50 chance cheap valves are more likely to leak in the future but doesn't mean they will
Quality valves are a lot less likely to leak but that doesn't mean they wont

as for the boundary stop tap, if It leaks after turning it on or off call your local water board and they will have to come fix or replace

Like with most things you've got a 50/50 chance cheap valves are more likely to leak in the future but doesn't mean they will
Quality valves are a lot less likely to leak but that doesn't mean they wont

as for the boundary stop tap, if It leaks after turning it on or off call your local water board and they will have to come fix or replace

It is an old brass boundary stop tap underground. Just worried it may sheer off with it being too tight to move by hand. Thanks and do you class conex as a decent valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Conex iso valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have I blend valve from Nu-Heat ( they bought it from Reliance, as per attached spec). I have dismantled the valve now 3 times and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock