Search the forum,

Discuss Confused by soil stack and branch connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Hill

Hi all,

I've just started the above ground discharge section of my level 2 NVQ and am confused by soil stacks and branch connections (the text book doesn't give nearly enough info, just two bad diagrammes).

I've tried searching the forums but no luck.

My issue is with branch connections into soil stacks and cross flow.

According to the building regs part H page 8 - The ways to prevent cross flow are:

- Have connections at the same level but coming in at least at right angles to each other when looked at from above.

- Have the connections offset with regards to the height they enter the stack (variable distance based on stack diameter and what the branches serve).

- Create a parallel junction of at least 50mm so that the branch connects outside the no connection zone

My questions are therefore:

Are there other methods?
How does the angle that the pipe enters the stack at affect things?

Thanks in advance.

It says somewhere in the regs that junctions should be at 200mm intervals at a minimum.

The steeper the angle, the less likely any backflow.

The JTL book is pretty detailed on this. WHPES is right about the 200mm minimum intervals, although I don't remember anything about intervals being variable according to pipe diameter. Not saying you're wrong, but I don't recall seeing it anywhere. Will check the book when I get a chance...

Only the methods in the regs are approved.
Iirc there are diagrams within doc h which highlight the approved methods.
As masood states the JTL books are also good for trainees as it gets the point across in an understandable way. Other books can overcomplicate simple issues.
Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys.

I have the JTL book, which is usually pretty good but on this occasion it just gives two pictures with no explanation.

Do people recall if it used to be different. I've seen council flats with two branches joining directly opposite but the last part of each branch is made up of two 45% bends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Confused by soil stack and branch connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
D
Hi there I have an existing soil stack on the side of my house. I have extended the house by building a loft. The loft company ran the waste from the loft over the roof straight into (i.e. closing off) what was the soil pipe - and added an AAV at loft level. However now I am reroofing and...
Replies
Views
Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch. Is this allowed, is...
Replies
Views
Hi, When running 50mm waste to the stack, how do I get it so the 50mm does not have to be so far from the wall? As the offset at the stack dictated by the boss on the soil pipe. Hopefully this makes sense! Please see my picture which hopefully helps. I bought a 135 deg bend thinking I could...
Replies
Views
Im looking to install a saniflo or similar, with the outlet rising up through a flat roof and into a soil stack above. The problem is, this obviously poses a frost risk. Ideally I would like to have a method of draining back the contents of the pipework above the roof level once the pumping...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock