Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Confused with our plumbing plan for new build house... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyg2325

Hi all,I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on this matter.I'm building a bungalow to passive standards, but the 3 plumbers that I have obtained quotes from are insisting on full oil fired central heating with rads everywhere.This is far from what I want so have gone back to them with a plan that fits in with all the money I've spent building a house for the next generation and don't want to take a step backwards.My plan is to have a 1000L accumulator tank with solar coil, a 21kw stove directly linked to the tank.There will be a central heating circuit on this that will supply 3 towel warmer rads in the bathrooms, this should also act as a heat dump should the buffer tank get too hot. it will also feed a 350L DHW tank that is also fitted with a solar coil and 2x 3kw immersion heaters.Here's we're the "problems" begin, the system has to be pumped as the buffer tank is on the same level as the stove. I have seen/read about this being doing to a very safe standard and working very well, but the 3 plumbers insist it won't work.I know their issue is not being able to gravity feed the system. But I just can't do that because of the ceilings being vaulted.So to sum up, I want a WBS linked to a large buffer tank, heating circuit run to 3no bathrooms, DHW linked to buffer tank. Solar to feed DHW first (then buffer tank when DHW is hot enough) would like the system to mains pressure.I could type all night about how I would like it to work but I won't.lol. I think my next step is to draft in a heating engineer, but in the mean time I'm open suggestions.If I've missed any info to help just ask :)

I don't know why my post has turned out a 1 big block of txt, I tried to fix it but it won't change!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to have a heating eng/aircon man in to have a look, have you had all the sums worked out to wot volume of heat the building will need being a passive house by a pro or have you done this yourself mate? And I'm sure you have looked at the ducting for your air in/out. R you looking at a ground source heat or air pump??

I'm in northern Ireland, haven't got heat loss/ load figures as yet. It's not a certified house we have tried just to follow to it as close a possible. Size shape orientation ect.But I'm hoping to achieve around 15kwh/m2. Will be using a Beam axco mhrv at 92% efficiency. Want to use the stove as primary heating source 9.1kw to room and 11.8kw to water.

I'm in northern Ireland, haven't got heat loss/ load figures as yet. It's not a certified house we have tried just to follow to it as close a possible. Size shape orientation ect.But I'm hoping to achieve around 15kwh/m2. Will be using a Beam axco mhrv at 92% efficiency. Want to use the stove as primary heating source 9.1kw to room and 11.8kw to water.
deffo a job for alex/mario aka gray6089, he's in NI :)

Anything is possible BUT there will need to be some form of gravity feed as its not safe to have it just pumped as when pump fails it becomes dangerous
What part of Northern Ireland you from?

Yep fully understand that, but have seen various safety valves/devices which I thought were supposed to help when the worst happens. Or I'm I on the wrong page?
im in ballymoney, co.antrim

Don't worry someone will do it for you it won't be right and it may be dangerous but as you seem to have it in your head that you can do it good luck
Ps it won't be legal
And it won't pass building control if the building control officer has half a brain,and if ever a problem your building insurance will be void you can do as you like in Southern Ireland but not here I'm afraid

I think a heating engineer should be able to design something suitable!

I am only going by what the plumbers involved have said. The ceiling is vaulted at 2 levels (step in the roof) I can rise a pipe vertically up the fire breast then across the roof, at this point I can have a rise of about 100mm over 4m, then it would step up around 400mm vertical and run horizontal for another 4ish meters again it can have a gradual rise of 100mm or so over the 4m.

But at this point it has to travel downwards. I though I could maybe use this route for a vent pipe, but instead of turning downward could go straight into a header tank That could maybe link into the buffer tank down below?

I will try an post some drawings if that would help understand the shape of the roof.

Thanks for all the input :)

here is two pics of the floor plan and elevation. The ceiling is vaulted from the living room through to the start of the kitchen.
i cant put the accumulator tank above the kitchen due to the weight of it, but i can put my DHW tank up there.
floor plan.jpg
elevation.jpg

Why not put a smaller buffer ie a normal say 36x18 direct cylinder then you could put in an acv solar cylinder and take off your heating from the tank in tank cylinder but would be better suited to underfloor heating using lower temp water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Confused with our plumbing plan for new build house... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock