Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Connecting to boiler in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. JamesT

JamesT New Member

Hi there,

I have a Worcester 9.24 boiler and am installing a new bathroom so need to tap into the DHW from the boiler and the cold water supply.

I know how to tap into the cold water and how to drain that line but the DHW has no drain cock so was looking for some advise

Thanks

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

How are you doing it on the cold?

3. JamesT

JamesT New Member

Closing the stop cock of water into the house and draining out of the external tap and the radiator downstairs

4. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

With the supply off, open the highest hot-tap in the building one turn. Then open the lowest hot-tap in the building one turn and and make a note of roughly how much water drains out.

If you need to break in at a height below the lowest tap / drain-point, or in a section that the above procedure won't drain, you'll need some trays / towels, etc. to deal with the last few litres.

Never cut into a pipe without having a plan for what you are going to do if water unexpectly starts spraying out and is going to cause damage. I always keep a hammer within reach so I can stop the flow by flattening the pipe in an emergency. I've never had to do this but it was a trick I learned from watching an old-timer. I asked him why he always had a hammer next to him even though the job didn't need it. He replied "That end is for flattening pipes during a ****-up, this other end is to answer stupid questions."

My advice is that if you needed to ask this question you should consider getting a proper plumber to do the pipework for you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

As above drain via the kitchen taps
    I use speed fit caps instead of s hammer

Are you cutting into the heating pipes?

• Like Like x 1
  6. JamesT

JamesT New Member

Haha thanks Chuck! Good story and advise with regards to the hammer! Problem is that getting a proper plumber in is admitting defeat especially as the bathroom has already been plumbed in fully by myself.

I had a good idea what I need to do I just like reassurance before I do things HA

7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No hammer or speedfit cap ends , use a carrot lol