Search the forum,

Discuss Constantly losing hot water pressure from Direct Vented Cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably because of the set-up) but last year got so feeble that a guy suggested fitting a pump alongside the cylinder. This can work fine but then all of a sudden can lead to a complete cessation of hot water, he has got it working again before but it stopped the other day and he wasn't available to resolve so another really useful guy came and sorted it with a hoover in no time but said it could be the pump drawing off the hot quicker than the header tank could refill the cylinder (and we ought to have a flange on the top of the cylinder as well-even though it doesn't supply hot to a shower) and, as he predicted, we are back to it being stop/start.

I've put some photos on that show the set-up, (which is identical to other flat owners, although their pressure was never as bad as mine before the pump was fitted), I was wondering if there is something inherently wrong with the set-up (I think the builder of the flats used a cylinder which could also be used as indirect but it has always been immersion only) and whether having the pump is causing these airlocks ?. We were thinking we might be able to install a header tank with more capacity although tbh I'd rather just not have the pump and I'd be happy with just reasonable hot water pressure.

Hope the experts might be able to offer some guidance, I'm considerably better at sawing things ! cheers

Attachments

• BDPB0021.JPG
    BDPB0021.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 19
  • CCHI2969.JPG
    CCHI2969.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 19
  • FWOV2408.JPG
    FWOV2408.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 18
  • GXRP4864.JPG
    GXRP4864.JPG
    485.6 KB · Views: 17
  • KGSW8350.JPG
    KGSW8350.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 17
The cistern is tiny. That pump can pull up to 32L/min while your cistern looks like its only holding 45L. If you're running the hot taps for more than a few mins I expect you're depelting the cistern which then sucks in air. This would also tally up with your plumber solving the issue with a hoover

What is your flat setup? kitchen taps/basin taps/ bath taps?/shower

:D wrong black tank needs to be 50 gallons for a pump yours is maybe 2 gallons

The cistern is tiny. That pump can pull up to 32L/min while your cistern looks like its only holding 45L. If you're running the hot taps for more than a few mins I expect you're depelting the cistern which then sucks in air. This would also tally up with your plumber solving the issue with a hoover

What is your flat setup? kitchen taps/basin taps/ bath taps?/shower
Thanks for the comments, appreciated, set-up is all of the above except the shower I have installed is an electric one, so fed off the cold, cheers

Tbh your best bet is to change the cylinder for an unvented

What I mean is what taps do you have in each room?

Just this week I've had to change a load of taps on a fortic system similar to yours and haven't had any issues with flow rates if the right stuff is selected

Tbh your best bet is to change the cylinder for an unvented
Thanks, certainly something to consider, I'm on my own so really only need basin, kitchen sink and the odd bath (have an electric shower) so pressure doesn't have to be super but pre-pump it got really feeble and I initially thought could it be limescale in the top of the cylinder or something, cheers

What I mean is what taps do you have in each room?

Just this week I've had to change a load of taps on a fortic system similar to yours and haven't had any issues with flow rates if the right stuff is selected
Sorry, mixer in the kitchen, regular (separate) hot & cold on the basin & bath, cheers

Thanks, certainly something to consider, I'm on my own so really only need basin, kitchen sink and the odd bath (have an electric shower) so pressure doesn't have to be super but pre-pump it got really feeble and I initially thought could it be limescale in the top of the cylinder or something, cheers

Pressure won’t be the best less than 0.1 bar as the tank isn’t that high ideally you would want it 3m above the cylinder

Which taps are causing the issue? Seperate bath basin taps should be fine as long as the pipework has been done right. The kitchen tap is the tricky one but its certainly possible to still get a good enough flow rate out of it.

Which taps are causing the issue? Seperate bath basin taps should be fine as long as the pipework has been done right. The kitchen tap is the tricky one but its certainly possible to still get a good enough flow rate out of it.
My plumber (new guy) is going to strip out the pump tomorrow and restore the status quo, will re-assess after that & hope it doesn't stop completely !, thanks for the guidance

Yeah, not the best is it, I have a couple of mates in the block & there's was never as bad as mine, must be something specific to me I guess

How old are your taps ?

Reply to Constantly losing hot water pressure from Direct Vented Cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock