Discuss Contractor not coughing up..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good evening...

As the post states.

I am going through paperwork before work begins again tomorrow AM.

I have an unpaid job, it is from a very large heating contractor, they do work for the government.

I will keep the story as short as possible as it drags on a bit, it will be a long post so bare with me please.

I got a call one afternoon, lady on the phone asked me to attend an urgent call out for a boiler not running in an elderly ladies home.
I accepted but asked that she emailed the office & one of us would attend asap, likely around 3PM.

I got down to the job (around 30 miles away) to find that there was a brand new boiler & the reason for the boiler breakdown was due to a leak onto the circulation pump that had tripped the fuse board.
There was a total of 8 leak, oil flexible hose on the outside of the casing, fire valve & filter on the inside right beside the boiler & the condensate went into a condensate pump & the pipework that should have gone into a drain stopped at the top of the boiler & was dripping onto the boiler, system was now pressurised with expansion vessels but not on the hot water side but it was to the heating side so the hot water was stone cold.
They also hadn't done a system flush before fitting the new boiler even though it is always in the manufacturers instructions, flue was leaking from the slate piece on the roof.

So......I called the lady in the office (didn't have email access) & explained the ISSUES to which she replied "please do whatever it takes to rectify the issues, keeping our clients happy is priority."
I continued with my work rectifying the many leaks, oil line to OFTEC standards, drilling the condensate pipe to the outside into a drain, fully pumping the hot water & heating system on an S plan, got an electrican to wire it in as they had just put the boiler & pump onto plug tops with 13amp fuses & finally got the roof leak sorted by a roofer that was living local & happy to help that evening.

I got the system running to MFI & regulation by 11 PM so headed home.
I emailed the company ( wish i could publish thier name!) explaining the system was up & running with a detailed explanation of what had been done.
I also presented them with my invoice which they are refusing to pay, saying i worked without their permission. I then got ahold of the MD who shouted abuse down the phone asking if I was on drugs in the way i slagged off his employees to office staff.
Only a week later i got called from an elderly lady around 15 miles from me that said she had an issue with her boiler 'rattling' & heating hadn't been working since the evening before.
I went straight over to find this same company carried out the work in this property too.
Thery had manually opened the hot water & heating motorised valve on then advised that she used the TRV to regulate heat within rooms. The motorised valves were not even wired in & just a fused spur to the boiler. The issue for the 'rattling' was that the heating motorised valve (I assume) had been knocked while the lady was in the boiler room getting a jacket or something & only left the boiler heating the hot water, it was boiling! All the plywood on the roof was dripping with condensation when i went into the loft.

So I am now owed £1943.23 inc vat from this chancing company who clearly don't have a clue!
I have tried debt collection agencies who have no luck.....

My question is should I take this to a small claims court? Will I have to travel the 300 miles down to the court hearing as I think I have to travel to the defendant.
Should I report them to trading standard too? I have loads of pictures & my emails to the company.
I also forgot to mention the first house had an issue for 5 days but they company never returned the ladies phone calls. She also had lights & sockets not working as the pump had tripped the power & it was on the same board as one end of the house.

Sorry for the essay, I hope it all reads okay & I have covered everything.

Kind regards,
Island Fling

Granted eco works you will find the company closes its doors soon

TBH good luck trying to get your money back only think I can suggest is a debt recovery ferm or court

I take it these where 'government grant' installs by a bodgit and scarper company.

Feel your pain and difficult to prove a case with it being he said she said imho.

Was the other company oftec and did you take any before and after photos?

Granted eco works you will find the company closes its doors soon

TBH good luck trying to get your money back only think I can suggest is a debt recovery firm or court

Thanks Shaun, I have tried debt collection & they (contractor) is saying it was unauthorised works. I was thinking the might close down soon but they have been trading for 7 years now & have limited companies all over Scotland & offices in London now too. I tracked down (on facebook) the MD range rover in a picture so was planning to put a writ onto his it but im sure it will probably be financed to the hilt.

I take it these where 'government grant' installs by a bodgit and scarper company.

Feel your pain and difficult to prove a case with it being he said she said imho.

Was the other company oftec and did you take any before and after photos?

Yes & no i guess, company has been trading 7 years or more so maybe they will hang about as they have turnover of around 20 million.

I have loads of photos, also both customer said they would do anything they can to help. I just didn't want to ask yet as they are both 80 + years old. I am worried the MD who is a bully would then bully them. I would rather loose the money than have that.

Thanks Shaun, I have tried debt collection & they (contractor) is saying it was unauthorised works. I was thinking the might close down soon but they have been trading for 7 years now & have limited companies all over Scotland & offices in London now too. I tracked down (on facebook) the MD range rover in a picture so was planning to put a writ onto his it but im sure it will probably be financed to the hilt.

I know it's not the best but i it was me I would of reported to oftec not that they would of done much

But I wouldn't of done 2k of work I would of said get the install company out

I know it's not the women's fault but there's nothing you can do

I know it's not the best but i it was me I would of reported to oftec not that they would of done much

But I wouldn't of done 2k of work I would of said get the install company out

I know it's not the women's fault but there's nothing you can do

Yeah it will maybe just have to go down as a tough lesson. I have now started to provide estimates for any works over £500 & take deposits off new customers if there is any materials involved.

Yeah it will maybe just have to go down as a tough lesson. I have now started to provide estimates for any works over £500 & take deposits off new customers if there is any materials involved.

Estimates for any works other than small jobs get everything in writing eg under 200

Reply to Contractor not coughing up..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock