Search the forum,

Discuss Contractor not paying/'reluctant payer advise required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodedClaw

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi,

Did a number of months working for a builder on his various devolpments and finally managed to get off the job (soulless task). Near the end of my last job he was getting really slow paying, after not turning up a few times I managed to get him up to 2 weeks behind then he started slipping leafing 5 invoices outstanding.

they are between 1 and 2 months over now and hes still not paying despite calls etc, claiming first cash flow then 'issues' on one of the projects (that don't stand up no problems they weren't fully aware off at he time and even directed me what to do to fix them'.

So, question 1.

Am i able to remove my supplied goods and fittings that are unpaid for?

2. the invoices are between £160 and £1200 each, should I lump them into one £4200 debt for the court or collection agency?

3. should I use small claims court or collection agency?

Cheers, Antony.

U tried turning up at his house at 19.00 with three mates waiting in car? Step through door and he will be running for cash.

Q1. Only if they are not fitted. Once they are fitted, you can no longer legally remove them. Obviously the definition of "fitted" can get a little fluid in the heat of the moment.

Q2. Lump it all together. It is a single debt for legal purposes, so long as both parties are identical. The only reason to split it would be if you did some work for his company and some work for him as a private individual.

Q3. Start with small claims. Its easy and cheap and will probably work.

Ermintrude, I only wish that would work, just looked at his accounts online, seems to run on bare minimum so unless I wanted to take tools or a old van for payment....

Thanks Ray, I'll leave the fittings alone then, shame as I thought my turning up at 4 customers doors to remove parts due to non payment would soon feed back to him to get him to cough up... I guess lumping the invoices together would make court easier but harder to add on costs/interest to them, but it does seem the sensible thing to do to stop him contesting one.

go to customers directand ask for payment fm them if they havent paid him yet, offer a discount, might work, however your beef is with him but tact and diplomacy might work directly with custards. never know, but if they have paid him youve no chance, small claims is only way

Its a problematic situation as i am having slow payments suddenly from a builder i have done work for several years .
My invoices are several weeks late now and have issued emails and text messages to show correspondance over my concerns .
They have until thursday to show payments or i'm using debt recovery.

The other issue i have is a job i'm doing via same builder is probably 30% through second fix so if i walk from this would another plumbs take this on ? Also any issues would they try and come back to me with legal papers etc etc

I have the same issues, when you sub contract from someone it all starts out great, then for no apparent reason months our years down the line it starts to go a bit sour. I think the builder starts to think about all the money he has paid you over the years and starts to think your rolling in it, he does'nt think your a business just like him with overheads etc

The turning sour bit seems to start with call backs for minor little things, then progresses to slow payment of invoices, then a back log of unpaid invoices

Its a problematic situation as i am having slow payments suddenly from a builder i have done work for several years .
My invoices are several weeks late now and have issued emails and text messages to show correspondance over my concerns .
They have until thursday to show payments or i'm using debt recovery.

The other issue i have is a job i'm doing via same builder is probably 30% through second fix so if i walk from this would another plumbs take this on ? Also any issues would they try and come back to me with legal papers etc etc

just remember not to invest any more of your time in the hope of getting money if they have already stopped paying you, final written warning then offsite is my advice, or its good money after bad!

Already done that mate ,
had several e mails sent to them plus telephone correspondance ,
plus now letter threatening late payment invoice then debt recovery

carp aint it

If anyone need helps I have a good friend who is a expert in this cases ! Pls pm me and I will pass on his number !

+ avoid dealing with builders !
I only work for 1 builder and I deal with payments direct with customers and he gets %

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Contractor not paying/'reluctant payer advise required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock