Search the forum,

Discuss Convert from electric towel radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi, I've picked up a secondhand electric towel radiator, can these generally be converted to be used with a central heating system? It was probably made as an electric one but I can see how it might be possible to unscrew the heating element and also the cap on the other side to connect pipework.

There isn't really a problem with converting it however it does beg the question why is it second hand has it pinholed? is it rusted somewhere? you might be making a rod for your own back by installing a secondhand one. Particularly when you can pick up a new one for not a great deal of money

Haha my sister was refurbishing and didn't want it. What would I need, and have you done this before?

Unless it is a sealed electric radiator which some are you will need a blanking plug, a plug with a bleed vent in, then radiator valves to suit your pipe configuration.

The caps screw off, it has what I assume is water or oil sloshing about inside

You can get all four corners open yeAh

If it's oil inside you can't really put it onto a wet system without disposing of the oil (and any fluids used to clean it, rags used to wipe up afterwards etc) in accordance with Hazardous Waste regulations.

Towel rails start @ ÂŁ23 in Screwfix :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Convert from electric towel radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
B
Morning all, Can a towel rail thats been converted to Duel fuel trip the boiler RDC. We have just had a new radiator fitted and it's heated by heating system and a heat element via T-piece. we only have the electric element turned on with both valves open if the electric element is on can...
Replies
Views
As part of deep house renovation, planning to install wet ufh on the ground floor, and radiators on upper floor. Two bathrooms will have both water based towel warmers and electric ufh, and need dual thermostat to separately control air temp (by running towel warmer) and floor temp. Need...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock