Search the forum,

Discuss Customer buying boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelister6

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Seems to be more and more customers asking me to fit a boiler they've bought. Where do you all stand on this?
Had one or two asking me to do them a list of what they need and they'll get it on tinternet, I tell em to order someone to fit it while they're at it!

Seems to be more and more customers asking me to fit a boiler they've bought. Where do you all stand on this?
Had one or two asking me to do them a list of what they need and they'll get it on tinternet, I tell em to order someone to fit it while they're at it!

Ive always worked on a supply and fit basis, if customers want to supply materials then that's fine but if there is a delay to the job because of it then they will pay extra, its the same if the items that they have supplied are faulty then that is there responsibility to return and replace.

As above fine with me, anything wrong it's down to cus to sort and chase about for and can charge for wasted time (agreed before hand)

Yep, just make it clear that if anything goes wrong with anything other than your work then it will be chargeable visits. If wrong parts are supplied or late then you will have to charge time still. Plus you will need to charge them for advising on which parts to order incase they get them and go elsewhere or go it alone.

What I was thinking to be honest. Labour and consumables only, any faffing chargeable, any problems with supplied goods, not my problem

What is the chance of a cust getting the boiler sizing correct!?

If you agree a labour only price
Give them a materials list after they have paid you a deposit for the job

Not a problem, but I tell them to do own research and buy what they want, if you recommend anything and it go's T--s up you will still get the blame, explain that all that comes of the van is your tools, anything else is chargeable , fittings/consumable's etc.. its amazing how this can mount up ! any problems with what they have bought then it is down to them to sort out, running about for parts or hold up's due to there mistakes is chargeable has extras.

materialspolicy.jpg

As usual Ray's posting makes the case clearly for trusting your tradesman.My only concern is that this type of customer may well not have the required reading skills or attention span!!!

I will not work for a customer other than on a supply and fit basis.One reason is that it avoids hassle for me and the customer.Earlier posts have listed possible problems e.g.late,damaged,unsuitable materials.I do not want to waste time arguing about whose responsibility it is if there are problems.If I have control of the job it is MY RESPONSIBILITY.

The main reason for my approach is that on any job I need to TRUST the customer and he/she needs to be able to TRUST me.If that is not the case then count me out.I am happy to explain the benefits that Ray has mentioned. They will receive a correctly specified job that meets all regs. and manufacturer's instructions and, importantly,have future customer service.I make clear I can get a very competitive price from a locally trusted merchant which they cannot and this is why I do not use the internet.Regarding pricing I suggest a quote from BG or if they actually want to save a few quid I can point them towards a few engineers whose work I know who will happily throw a boiler on the wall whilst not offering the service I offer and in return they might be ÂŁ50-100 better off.To sum up,I am thankfully in a situation where I don't need 'chancers'.

Not quite sure what to make of some of the remarks made by (A1P) referring to the reading skills & attention span ! of his customers or to point them to engineers who he considers to be below him and do substandard work if he does not get the price he is asking for ! and finely being in a position where he doesn't need Chancers !! well the day may come when he may be happy to do the so called Chancers work, Times & Situations change very quick.
Sorry if this offends anyone ! But I do find some of A1Ps comments offensive, But that's only my Opinion.

Not quite sure what to make of some of the remarks made by (A1P) referring to the reading skills & attention span ! of his customers or to point them to engineers who he considers to be below him and do substandard work if he does not get the price he is asking for ! and finely being in a position where he doesn't need Chancers !! well the day may come when he may be happy to do the so called Chancers work, Times & Situations change very quick.
Sorry if this offends anyone ! But I do find some of A1Ps comments offensive, But that's only my Opinion.

Its funny how different people can read things in a different way. I read A1Ps comments as maybe being a bit tongue in cheek, but didn't sense any offensive intent.

Mind you, us merchants are notoriously thick skinned!

I am not offended,just disappointed that what I wrote could be interpreted in that way.There was certainly no intention to be offensive,just a slightly tongue in cheek explanation of what sort of customers most of us would prefer to work for.I have learnt masses from this forum.From an early stage I learnt that good customers are gold dust.I also recall many posts telling us to value and be proud of our chosen trade and offer the best possible service.It was made clear that a race to the bottom was never a good thing.When it is all about price it cheapens what we do.'Chancer' might possibly a bit strong but anyone who is only interested in price and not service is not going to sustain a business.You waste time visiting the job,give advice to suit their requirements including budget,give a detailed quote and then it is X can do it ÂŁ50 cheaper what can you do.I also explained very clearly as did Ray why them buying parts was a non-starter for me.

As regards other engineers,I do know other local engineers who do inferior work and provide no aftercare.How do i know ,I pick up their work when things go wrong.Their business model is advertise on the basis of boilers/CH systems FROM xxxxx a very cheap price.Their boiler of choice is usually one most of us would not recommend and they use the key word FROM so that they often are not even cheap.

Finally I would add that it took me 8 years from scratch to earn a decent living.I have done work in the past for 'chancers' on the basis that any money was better than no money and if I had to ,would do it again.I now hope the customer base I have is a solid one based solely on recommendations and who trust me to give them a fair price.

A business plan is unique to the individual enterprise for which it is formed. Claiming one's own is superior to others is both understandable, acceptable and a useful marketing tool.
To claim customers and others who choose a different model, do so because they lack reading skill , attention span and are chancers, reflects adversely on the person making the claim.

A business plan is unique to the individual enterprise for which it is formed. Claiming one's own is superior to others is both understandable, acceptable and a useful marketing tool.
To claim customers and others who choose a different model, do so because they lack reading skill , attention span and are chancers, reflects adversely on the person making the claim.

Hi Joni os,I enjoy your posts as they are usually helpful and relevant.I hope you won't mind me saying that I feel your second paragraph unfairly selects a few words and phrases out of detailed ,carefully written posts and does not fairly reflect what was written.The bit that seems to have upset 2 members is the tongue in cheek remark about 'reading skills and attention span'.If anyone should have been offended it should be Ray.He had printed a long,detailed explanation of the benefits of trusting the tradesman and customers not buying materials to offer to such customers.I was very gently suggesting it was a long read.He wasn't offended and 'got it.'
As for my ideas about business plans and customers.If you read my second ,longer post,I made clear that they came from the many posts ON THIS FORUM.I feel very strongly about how strongly we should value our trade and skills.We should not undersell ourselves.A race to the bottom on price helps nobody.As regards customers ,I value good customers highly,I make no apology for criticising people who do not value us as professionals and for whom price is everything.There is a description which fits certain individuals who' know the price of everything but the value of nothing.'

Agreed they're called Tories.

Don't get me started on politics!! All parties are only interested in power not the wider good.
Groucho Marx once famously said,'You don't like my principles? I have others.

P.S.Hoping you found the rest of my reply fair.

im installing right now.. oil boiler.

customer buys everything, I ask if he is sure that its in stock, he says yes.
ok.. so I ask again, because if any doubt, I can get from Williams next day.. he says all ok.

then delayed, they boiler turned out not to be in stock, then when it came, it was the next size up and way too large for property and the flue was wrong.

now waiting for correct flue.

in labour only circumstances, I charge more per day/hour. I take no responsiblity for anything supplied if ever faulty, late, delayed, damaged etc etc.

Customers never understand labour only they just think they can give you a boiler.!!! Get rather expensive if you only need a handful of 2"10s and they've got to buy a box.. Supply and fit only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customer buying boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock