Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Cutting Barrel Steel Pipework For new cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures

I need to replace the cylinder because it is leaking and I am not able to find anyone who is comfortable to work on this this because it is barrel steel - Has anyone worked on this kind of system before?

1) It i try and put some stillstons on it am I likely to get the nut to crack and the thread to remain intact? This looks like heavy duty commercial pipework so I am nervous but I need to get this reduced to copper so I can replace the cylinder - I have found a shop which has black iron fittings that can thread onto a 2inch pipe and reduce it but it depends on geting the but off in tact

2) If I have to cut the steel pipework without a thread can I use a Priomfit compression nut? Are these leak proof and reliable for water?

IMG_6893.jpeg

IMG_6892.jpegIMG_6891.jpegIMG_6890.jpegIMG_6889.jpeg

Tbh do you have much experience in iron as it’s one of them, what type of property is it ?

Easiest way then would be to undo the unions and adapt from copper from then remember if it measures 11/4 od it’s 1” tube so need 1” make irons etc

How likely is it the steel pipe cracks below when i am exerting force to undo the nut ? I will heat it and use stillsons of bottom of the union but will this crack or twist up the pipework? If the pipe splits how do you fix it as I cant solder onto steep so thats why i looked at primofit optoins

How likely is it the steel pipe cracks below when i am exerting force to undo the nut ? I will heat it and use stillsons of bottom of the union but will this crack or twist up the pipework? If the pipe splits how do you fix it as I cant solder onto steep so thats why i looked at primofit optoins

You will have to hold against but will only snap if it’s weak so needs replacing

Here is a better picture so you can get a sense of how frightened I am !!!

The cylinder has flow on top right, cold water in on bottom right and return on bottom left with hot water draw off on top of the cylinder
IMG_6882.jpgIMG_6892 2.jpg

Don’t do the job then say sorry out of my comfort zone etc

I wouldn't use Primofit to make a direct copper-steel join in the pipework that is feeds CW to the tank or draws DHW from it because of galvanic corrosion. Use a purpose designed union or a brass transition section. It's fairly common to use brass-bodied valves for the transition, which are just about long enough.

TBH, this doesn't look like a DIY job if you don't have experience of, and the tools for, steel pipework. Try to find someone who does 'domestic and commercial' work rather than just 'domestic'.

I deal with this all the time. I wouldn’t use primofits unless zero other options.

Unwind from a joint and convert. It’s no particularly difficult but old steel does break and you need a back up plan, just in case.

Here’s one I found last week while replacing a bath for shower. Steel pipe rusting from the outside. Had to dig out back to a joint and replace.

757395A8-245B-432E-B486-5C7D96B8F2BA.jpeg
797C7AB5-A098-4001-9483-2648BD435BF0.jpeg

Out of interest, what area of London are you?

Attachments

• 8780BCCD-13F7-45D6-9004-982DE3C81035.jpeg
    8780BCCD-13F7-45D6-9004-982DE3C81035.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 8
Yes the above is def steel barrell pipe - Want to say thank you to this forum - I managed to angle grind the cylinder out and then blow torch the connectors and they came out easily! Was amazed.

Have now bought a fittings to convert to copper and could not have done it without the immense knowledge on this forum.

I am in finchley - Now need to find someone to install a vented indirect cylinder - That certainly looks and sounds easier then messing with barrel pipework

Reply to Cutting Barrel Steel Pipework For new cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock