Search the forum,

Discuss Depth of incoming water main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdoch

Esteemed
Res.Electrician
Guys

Could do with some guidance. Our incoming main has sprung a large leak (we are not on a meter fortunately) and I've got a builder mate doing the ground work for the plumber doing the new pipe etc.

The existing gas, water and BT cables all run in the same "route" and they are only about 400mm down - is this an acceptable depth for the new pipe or do we need to dig down further?

Thanks

Off the top of my head I thought a water main had to be 750mm deep

I can see the point of the regs with a new build but what about a 35 year old house??

To complicate matters the incoming main crosses my neighbours front garden!

It is 1350mm NOT 1250mm Max , SORRY

Thank you Simon F for pointing out the error of my ways, I would like to claim it was a typo but the truth is that been out of the loop now for less than a year & I am already getting things wrong, It just proves the use it or loose it thing, either that or it is the senile dementia setting in .:!blank:

I can see the point of the regs with a new build but what about a 35 year old house??

The point is your laying a new cold main not working on an existing pipe, your duty bound to update what your doing. You can go above the 750mm but you need to talk with the water utility company about it.

i had a job at a burst main before the stopcock. the water board came as it is their domain as the boundary cock had dissapeared!
they were going to charge £440 to repair until i queried why the main is only 400mm down. they did it for free!!!!

the depth is to protect the pipe from freezing etc....

your water main can not/ should not of been routed across other properties as it belongs to you. Sadly this is still done by many builders to save on installation time.

Typically what utilities now want is for each individual property to have its own metered connection trenched across your own property. For a number of reasons its to your advantage to have this arrangement.

Are you maybe on a row supply?

Do your other utilities cross the neighbour's land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Depth of incoming water main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock