Discuss Direct fired greenhouse heaters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

I was at a customer today servicing five cabinet heaters (40 degrees in the greenhouses, had to turn the stats up to 50 to get them to fire, so then I'm in a 40 degree greenhouse standing next to a heater trying to make it 50 - mad or what?!).

Anyway, he mentioned that he also had a few direct heaters that he'd like to get back into service. The best candidate to start with had a Riello with a failed oil pump. Simple I thought - chuck a new pump on and set it up. And then I thought, how the hell do you gas check one of these? The burner fires directly onto a blast plate and there's a flipping big fan behind the burner adding a load more air.

Where do you analyse one of these or is it all by feel?...

you follow the manual or you shouldnt be touching it according to the regs. the other thing to do is to get yourself proven as gas safe on here and ask on the private forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you asking about fga'ing it?

Because gas rating an oil fired appliance...... Well it just don't make nooooooo sense!

Sorry chaps - I was talking about flue gas analysing (or otherwise setting up a new oil pump) on an oil fired direct combusting greenhouse heater (blows its flue gasses into the space along with extra air from its fan).

There is no manual, data plate or even a manufacturers name. These things have been in service in a farm for 30 years.

Why do I want to get myself 'proven as gas safe' when I don't do gas and am asking questions about an oil fired heater in the oil forum?...

I'm a fully Oftec qualified boiler engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry chaps - I was talking about flue gas analysing (or otherwise setting up a new oil pump) on an oil fired direct combusting greenhouse heater (blows its flue gasses into the space along with extra air from its fan).

I'm a fully Oftec qualified boiler engineer.

With all the doors open would be my first thought!

You got an expendable apprentice to hold the probe?

With all the doors open would be my first thought!

You got an expendable apprentice to hold the probe?

There's nowhere to put the probe - that's the problem :) They're a two foot diameter tube with a burner in the middle and a big fan at the back which blows past the burner and adds extra air to the burners output...

They're not uncommon in greenhouse horticulture - plants like CO2 :) you wouldn't want to be shut in the greenhouse for any length of time with them though (even servicing and test firing them rapidly gets unpleasant).

The best advice I've been given is go for a decent flame colour and no visible smoke.

which is what lots of american pig farmers failed to do in keeping their piggies warm but ended up gassing 1000s using warm air blowers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Direct fired greenhouse heaters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock