Discuss Direct Vented cylinder swap... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Basically I'm planning on swapping out a cylinder. There is no gas in the flat, so everything has to be warmed by electric. One shower/bath, kitchen tap and basin tap. Rads are all electric too.

So the current cylinder is mains fed, and what looks like the vent pipe...I have no idea where it's going. This is a basement flat, with no loft, or tank. It's going up into the ceiling somewhere, away from all of the other hot pipes.

This pipe appears to be going up to what I'd assume is somewhere in somebody elses flat, or even 3 floors up to maybe a loft tank, where I don't have access.

Am I being paranoid or would you be fine just swapping it out, not knowing where this is going?

Are there any other options for heating the system?

Thanks

Any chance of a few pics please of the cylinder and the pipe in question

Definitely some pictures required as a vented hot water cylinders will not be mains fed

it sounds as though your unsure of what is required. Personally I think you should get a proffesional in. If something is identified incorrectly would you have the skills to rectify? Also if it is mains fed that would make it an unvented cylinder so you would need a G3 registered plumber to carry out the work by law.

sorry for the delay in pics. Busy weekend!

White pipe is the mains coming in.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

It's not 100% clear from your photo but the white mains pipe doesn't attach to the cylinder does it ? I would suggest that this pipe goes all the way up to the loft fills a cwsc and subsequently another pipe comes back down to feed to cylinder. Does this sound reasonable ??!

White pipe comes down, to stopcock, then tees off across and up to the cylinder and carrys on from the tee to the basin/bath and kitchen sink.

you have a vented cylinder there. the white pipe does come from a cistern in the loft. the "stopcock" on it is a gate valve not a stopcock. there must be a cold water cistern in the loft because it looks like there is a vent off the top of the hot feed coming from the top of the cylinder.
is your bath to the left of the cylinder? kitchen to the right?

It's an odd set up. This is a basement flat, with no access to the loft!

And yup the bath is to the left and kitchen to the right.
The white pipe doesn't come straight down either, it comes along the ceiling in the kitchen, and into the airing cupboard.

There may be a tank else where but that cylinder is not fed off the mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Direct Vented cylinder swap... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock