Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Disconnecting cold water tank feed to bathroom & connecting directly to the mains. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JessB

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice. I have recently moved into a ground floor flat (leasehold), with 3 flats above me, in an old Victorian conversion. I’m planning on renovating my bathroom and have a problem pipe in the corner of the room where I want the bath to go, boxed in with a valve key sticking out. It looks very old. If I close the valve the cold water taps in my bathroom significantly slow, although the flow doesn’t stop completely (possibly the valve isn’t great), but the water in my kitchen is unaffected. I am concluding, therefore, that whilst my kitchen is mains fed, my bathroom is on an indirect system, fed by a cold water tank in the loft.

Since I don’t want the pipe there, don’t like the idea of brushing my teeth in old tank water, and have a combi boiler now, my preference would just be to cap this pipe and re-route cold water to the bathroom from the mains. I am on the ground floor so wouldn’t anticipate any impact to water pressure, but I am worried that I might impact water pressure for the other flats if I do this? Does anyone see any issues with this plan that I should be aware of? The only other alternative that I see is to chase the pipes into the wall and remove the valve, instead having a valve on each of the sanitaryware pieces – bath, sink, toilet.

Would welcome suggestions.

Re: Disconnecting cold water tank feed to bathroom & connecting directly to the mains

Are you even allowed to change things around under the terms of the lease?

Re: Disconnecting cold water tank feed to bathroom & connecting directly to the mains

You could get a very good idea if the bathroom is mains or tank fed by turning on the
tap and attempting to hold back the flow with a finger over the spout.

If you can hold back the water successfully but not the kitchen tap flow then the bathroom
is most likely tank fed.

If the existing pipe work terminates in the bathroom and does not tee off elsewhere the it
seem on the face of it that you could cap off and run the mains in.

You should bear in mind however that you could be leaving a long dead leg on the pipe from the tank (or where it tees off). This is usually unacceptable under the water regs due to stagnant water build up with the possibility of contamination to other properties.

Best way to find out if tank fed is simply switch off mains so sink stops, if bathroom keeps running youl know,
Silly for flats to be tank fed ,, do you have access to the tank , ( is it in your flat )

Ment to say your kitchen sink will always be mains fed so youl know youve switched it off when that stops,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Disconnecting cold water tank feed to bathroom & connecting directly to the mains. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock