Discuss Does one plumb in a 2 port zone valve so that it can be removed easily in future? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Evo99

I've got a 2 port Sunvic 5203 5 wire zone valve with a very stiff spindle which has been installed 20+ years. I plan to drain the system down & cut it out and replace it with a Honeywell V4043H1056 zone valve. From reading the forum it seems that the Honeywell valve is the one to go for.

What's the advice for plumbing the new one in? Do people use compression fittings in a way that if it ever needs replacing in future then all one needs (after draining down the system) is a spanner rather than having to cut it out?[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Yes, I'm surprised that the old one isn't fitted with compression fittings. It's a short answer but there's nothing more to add really.

Paulus, thanks for your response. The old one has compression fitting but is in a length of vertical pipe which does not allow movement. Hence the need to cut the pipework. I was wondering if its sensible to use four x 22mm right angle compression fittings so that subsequent removal could be done just with a spanner. Something like this:
I_____
I
ZV
_____I
I

have you pulled the old valve out ? how do you know their is no movement ?

and im not sure i understand your "I" picture

Seems sensible to me but I don't see how they installed the valve in the first place. Are you sure you can't get movement in the pipe by maybe undoing another joint?

I'm just trying to save you time and money.

once you drain it down, you may find that you'll have movement and you can remove valve and swap for new one although you will need some ptfe or paste around the old olives as it may leak with the new valve

If you don't have enough movement after drain down, cut the existing pipe above or below, put a slip straight coupler on, fit the valve then position the slip joint and tighten. A slip coupler has no raised ring or stop inside it, so you can slide it up and down the pipe. You need to mark the pipes each side of the join to make sure the join is in the middle of the coupling.

I would be suprised if you had no movement at all.
If you really have no movement try using a compression slip coupling.
You would only need to cut the pipe once, under do compression end of existing valve remove, replace valve and fit slip coupling over cut joint, only one new fitting.

To be honest I think Evo99 is trying to move the valve in situ, and finding on movement.

I agree with Rocktwang:

I would be suprised if you had no movement at all.
If you really have no movement try using a compression slip coupling.
You would only need to cut the pipe once, under do compression end of existing valve remove, replace valve and fit slip coupling over cut joint, only one new fitting.

think ive only ever had one with no movment in 30 years and that came up through an oak floor, elbow, valve then elbow back down through floor some times you can get away with half depth joints

I would undo the 4 screws holding the plate and internals to the body of the valve and change that, cheaper and you dont have to worry about draining down as you can bung the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does one plumb in a 2 port zone valve so that it can be removed easily in future? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
Is there any advice on using Honeywell Evohome with 2 zone heating. Honeywell support are pretty useless and give conflicting advice. They...
Replies
Views
There's power going to the valve head but the motor won't activate to turn the spindle to open the valve. The manual override will not activate...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in the process of setting up underfloor heating in my home. I have used polypipe overlay plus underlays and 12 mm polypipe pipe for...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock