Search the forum,

Discuss Downstairs rads on own loop?? Not draining out with others, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex Boothby

Hi Guys and Gals,

I need your wisdom again if you could be so kind!

I'm doing a bit of work on upstairs rad so draining down my combi boiler system.

I picked a downstairs rad that was closest to the door, connected hose, opened valve, went upstairs opened nipples etc. All went well draining down well.

Not so much of issue I guess, but more curiosity..... All of my downstairs rads have drain valves. So when I went to open the nipple on other downstairs rads I assumed it would cause the water to flow out of the rad which had the hose connected. However, water instead came out of the nipple at pressure.

Does this mean each of my downstairs rads is on its own 'loop' to the boiler - so would require the hose connected to each one?

I guess it doesn't matter, as I only want to do some work upstairs - and that is drained down.

I was just wondering if you guys could explain what this means. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is the design on some systems but is 'stupid' there words not mine!!

Many thanks in advance. :rolleyes2:

Hi,
Yes likely on seperate drops so like having a tank with dividers, draining from one will only drain to the top of the divider/drop.

Sweet,

Thanks.

While I'm at this I thought I may as well drain down completely and run some cleaner through it. So im guessing I will just have to drain the other rads as well and then refill as normal?

When I put the cleaner(for a few days) and then Inhibitor back in one rad, will it still eventually spread to all rads? Or because of this separate drop will I have to dose each downstairs rad with inhib separately.

Thanks ever so much again.

When flushing out it will likely be easier to drain all drops yes.
Inhibitor should find its way there on its own, just dose one rad with enough for whole system if you can.

Make sure you flush cleaner well first tho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Downstairs rads on own loop?? Not draining out with others, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock