Search the forum,

Discuss DPS Thermal Store- hot water/flow issues in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Zippymark

Gas Engineer
Hello, hope you're all enjoying the bank holiday weekend.

I have a customer with a Dedicated Pressure System (DPS) Heat Bank System (Thermal Store).

If they run one bath/shower, it's fine. If they try to run two at once the water at both is barely even warm.

I know the house has been extended by about 50%, adding an additional bathroom that the thermal store was not originally installed to cover.

I'm unsure if there's any fault involved, or if the flow rate of two showers at once is just exceeding the max flow rate that the thermal store heat exchanger can keep up with. The thermal store capacity is 150ltrs, my gut feeling is this just isn't up to the job, though i guess there could be a few issues with it causing it to not perform at full spec (pump running slow, blocked heat exchanger etc)

Has anyone got much knowledge of these and can advise whether it's worth investigating or if it's just not big enough?

Thankyou in advance for any help

I'm unsure if there's any fault involved, or if the flow rate of two showers at once is just exceeding the max flow rate that the thermal store heat exchanger can keep up with. The thermal store capacity is 150ltrs, my gut feeling is this just isn't up to the job, though i guess there could be a few issues with it causing it to not perform at full spec (pump running slow, blocked heat exchanger etc)
Has the system ever worked since the extension was installed? I'd measure the flow rates (with a jug and stopwatch) and temperatures for the two cases and then compare these with the manufacture's specs.

Even a single plate HX on the current version of these systems can supply 30 litre pm of hot water, which should be enough to supply a couple of reasonable showers.

Once you've made some measurements, either post them here or contact DPS, who are still in business and have after-sales tech support.

Has the system ever worked since the extension was installed? I'd measure the flow rates (with a jug and stopwatch) and temperatures for the two cases and then compare these with the manufacture's specs.

Even a single plate HX on the current version of these systems can supply 30 litre pm of hot water, which should be enough to supply a couple of reasonable showers.

Once you've made some measurements, either post them here or contact DPS, who are still in business and have after-sales tech support.
I'm not sure as the current homeowners have only been there for a short while, but hasn't worked adequetly in the six months they've been there.

And i didn't realise they were still about, sounds like i need to go back and do a more detailed investigation, if this has the same flow rates as that then it should be able to keep up.

It was just one of those jobs that i didn't want to spend an hour or so measuring things if it was all going to be a waste of time anyway

Thanks for your reply

As Chuck has said above looking at the data this unit on a single PHX should be more than capable of supplying up to 30 LPM at 45°c at a store temperature of 80°c.

And i didn't realise they were still about, sounds like i need to go back and do a more detailed investigation, if this has the same flow rates as that then it should be able to keep up.
I believe that they are now:

The data sheet I found is blurry on the graph which represents achievable flow rates with respect to store temp. Its also blurry on the graph depicting flow rates from KW output of the PHX from a set incoming temperature and temperature rise.
I would increase the store temp to between 70 and 80°c and see what happens. I suspect with the store temp at 60°c you weren't getting anywhere near the KW needed for your high demand flow rates.

Reply to DPS Thermal Store- hot water/flow issues in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock