Search the forum,

Discuss Drain hot water pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I'm going to fit a shower pump to the hot water pipe highlighted in the attached image. Just wanted to double-check my thinking: there's a valve on the cold feed to the cylinder so if I shut that off and run a downstairs hot tap until nothing comes out is that enough to empty the pipe I'm fitting the shower pump to? Or do I need to drain the cylinder a little bit as well? Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks,

Nick

Attachments

• 20201015_182058.jpg
    20201015_182058.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 19
Need to install an s flange first sorry to say

No you don’t with alans kit

yes close the valve that goes to the bottom of the cylinder then open the hot tap should stop within 5 mins if not open valve back up and turn the water mains stop tap off

Yes aslong as your valves are holding

I don't think the valve was holding so put a drain on the bottom of the tank to be safe. Made an absolute dogs dinner of cutting the pipe. The bottom bit was bent so that I couldn't get the nut over it but just applied a bit of force and got it done in the end. I know they suggest not to use a lot of jointing compound but I used a bit of Fernox LSX because I'm not confident that it won't leak. I'm gonna leave it to dry for a couple of hours and then test with the drain still on in case it goes **** up.

Did you cut it with a hacksaw or pipe slice ?

Should be fine leak wise then let us know the outcome

Looks like it's got weeping leaks on both nuts. I've wrapped the pipe in kitchen roll for now, it's a really slow leak. I'm gonna try to tighten it up and reapply some lsx to the outside of the nut to see if it makes a difference.
[automerge]1602930174[/automerge]
Undid the fitting and put ptfe tape on. Looks like it's sealed now. The drain off valve on the feed into the cylinder, however, has a bit of a slow leak on it. I'm hoping that just stops. When I was trying to get the hose on it initially I felt a weird little solid thing sticking out, is that calcified water or something from a previous dripping leak?

Last edited:

Reply to Drain hot water pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock