Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Dripping Ball Cock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lee1234

Hi

Over the past few weeks my overflow pipe is dripping in my alley way. I have looked at the small water cictern in the airing cupboard and the water is right at the top. I keep emptying water out of the tank but is quickly fills up and overflows again. The ball cock water valve does drip even when the ball cock is as high as it can go. Is this the problem with the water tank overflowing, if so how do i fix it?

Lee

Hello Lee,:welcome:
the float valve will most likely need a new washer,
in theory not a big job, possible unkown issues like turning of water supply

Hi

Over the past few weeks my overflow pipe is dripping in my alley way. I have looked at the small water cictern in the airing cupboard and the water is right at the top. I keep emptying water out of the tank but is quickly fills up and overflows again. The ball cock water valve does drip even when the ball cock is as high as it can go. Is this the problem with the water tank overflowing, if so how do i fix it?

Lee

fix the drip or get some one to do it for you,

Thanks very much, will have a go at that and see what happens.

Cheers

Lee

Changing for a new ball valve and float is probably easier than trying to change the washer to be honest, if a little more expensive on parts.

I have a large copper and brass float valve on one of my irrigation tanks that intermittently doesn't seal. Every year or two I take it out and just drop the whole thing in a bucket of de-scaling acid for a few minutes and it works fine for another year or so.

someone, somewhere, has done a google search for something quite unsavoury and has found themselves here

someone, somewhere, has done a google search for something quite unsavoury and has found themselves here

I was thinking same as you Water Tight. A course of antibiotics, stay off the beer and finish the course. :)

I'd be adjusting the arm first and then re-washer or replace.

Hi! I had a problem with my overflow pipe gushing out water a couple of years ago and when I had a new washer put into my cistern, the water stopped completely!

However I have recently had upvc weatherboards installed and the installer has cut off the overflow pipe which was jutting out and fitted the upvc over the existing weatherboards! I am worried because how can the water escape outside if the washer was to go in my cistern again? I did ask the installer about this but he said he has fitted lots of upvc weatherboards to houses and probably if the washer was to go again, then the overflow would escape between the cracks in the upvc! However I am worried because if the water was to stand in the upvc then it would cause the water to soak into my walls and cause dampness and also how would I know if I needed a new washer!:frown: Can anyone give any advice? Regards

Get the guy back to redo the weatherboard properly or get him to pay for a plumber to refit the overflow. He is an idiot who made the job easier for himself by cutting the pipe off. If it overflows it will damage your building.

Your installer needs to come back and refit the overflow correctly. If you just get a slight let by it won't notice behind there and will cause dampness. If you get a large overflow the chances are that without an open end the water won't escape fast enough and the cistern will overflow.

i agree get him back to redo and pay the plumber you get in to redo the overflow!

We talking toilet cistern overflow or loft cistern overflow?

If toilet then my preference would be to swap the Syphon for a flush valve with internal overflow and charge the idiot who installed the weatherboards.

If loft cistern then get a plumber to re-run the overflow and send the bill to the installer.

Get the guy back to redo the weatherboard properly or get him to pay for a plumber to refit the overflow. He is an idiot who made the job easier for himself by cutting the pipe off. If it overflows it will damage your building.

Many thanks for your kind reply! I feel really annoyed to think that this has occurred even though I did point it out to the upvc installer!

Kind regards

Gloria

Your installer needs to come back and refit the overflow correctly. If you just get a slight let by it won't notice behind there and will cause dampness. If you get a large overflow the chances are that without an open end the water won't escape fast enough and the cistern will overflow.

Hi Mike! Many thanks, I will take your advice! I am really annoyed about this because I did point it out to the upvc installer!

Kind regards

Gloria

Recently had a 2" ball cock in a tank the size of Alloa in a local Primary School.

"local swimming pool" when you were finished?

Hi! Many thanks for your kind reply! The problem I had was with the toilet cistern overflow! Could you possibly tell me if rerunning the overflow would be expensive if done through a plumber and would it be done outside the house!

Many thanks once again!

Gloria

Hi! Many thanks for your kind reply! The problem I had was with the toilet cistern overflow! Could you possibly tell me if rerunning the overflow would be expensive if done through a plumber and would it be done outside the house!Many thanks once again! Gloria

difficult to say without seeing the job, would it be easy to drill through from inside and fit a new overflow pipe or is space limited?

if you wanted the internal overflow to leave the outside looking smarter, what toilet is it - close coupled?
can some times be a pain to undue old rusted fittings.
could be done in 20 minutes or 2 hours??

either way as already said you really want to chase up the plastic man to foot the bill,
if the overflow had started leaking it would seep between the wall and plastic. if that went on for a while it could cause all sorts of damage to brick work and plaster, possibly even mould with associated health implications.
if the job was a simple fix the plumber would still need to cover

difficult to say without seeing the job, would it be easy to drill through from inside and fit a new overflow pipe or is space limited?

if you wanted the internal overflow to leave the outside looking smarter, what toilet is it - close coupled?
can some times be a pain to undue old rusted fittings.
could be done in 20 minutes or 2 hours??

either way as already said you really want to chase up the plastic man to foot the bill,
if the overflow had started leaking it would seep between the wall and plastic. if that went on for a while it could cause all sorts of damage to brick work and plaster, possibly even mould with associated health implications.
if the job was a simple fix the plumber would still need to cover

Hi Steve! With regard to your email reply, I confirm I have contacted the upvc installer and he is supposed to be coming next week to fix the problem re. overflow. Apparently I have found out that there needs to be a drainage hole made in the plastic in order for any overflow to get out! Hopefully I will have this done properly at last! Many thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dripping Ball Cock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
Water keeps filling up my home water tank from the output valve at the bottom of the tank and not from the top of the tank Water keeps pouring in...
Replies
Views
I cannot isolate my toilet water supply for a quick-fix, as the valve/tap is buried beneath tiling by whoever built the place. All other taps in...
Replies
Views
Hi so I changed a towel radiator in bathroom from a normal radiator. I bunged the f&e tank and vent pipe , drained about a pint of water out the...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock