Discuss Drips of Water from Pipe Next to Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a small pipe (Picture below) just above my boiler that I noticed yesterday has had a few drips of water come out of it, it was a fairly rainy day so thought it may be related, however thinking about it it may have been dripping for months.

https://i.*********/7M5j6MD.jpg

Searching the internet the suggestions are this is a pipe where pressure is released if the tank upstairs has to much pressure in it?
I read I need to check my pressure gauge but I can not find one, checked boiler, tank upstairs and water tanks in loft.

As I am a complete novice I have no ideal what type of central heating system I have so no idea if I should have a pressure gauge or not, let alone any idea if this should or should not be dripping occasionally.

My home is a new build from 19 years ago, I have a boiler in the kitchen, a hot water tank upstairs and what looks like a big and a small water tank in the loft.

Please could anybody shed some light on what this drip from the pipe could be and what type of central heating system do I have?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Martin.

As Riley says its an mt cock, in a very poor state. What you need to realise is that in side is a rubber washer which has perished. So dont fiddle with it
the end has a square post and can be turned but LEAVE alone
esp as its Sunday. If your knowledgeabke and confident tell us what you would do if not call a plumber tomorrow
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

By the sounds of it, you have a conventional open vented heating system with gravity fed hot water. You will not require a pressure gauge with this type of system. The valve in the picture is as Riley said, a drain off cock. Looking at it, it's been leaking a while, if your not confident yourself, call a plumber to come a change the washer.

Many thanks for these fast and very helpful replies.
I have zero plumbing experience so on your advice I will not touch it and call an expert out.

Is this a costly job or a simple case of changing the drain cock do you think?

I have zero plumbing experience so on your advice I will not touch it and call an expert out.

It can be really simple but depending how the plumber opts to drain down, it could end up been half a days job if the system airlocks or cold feeds blocked.

As you state you have no choice and servicing the mt cock might well involve a drain down ...I know it looks very small but is a quite important component in the scheme of things .so a ..drain down , replace part, then refill and system bleed takes quite a while...the component costs me about £1.00
centralheatking

Reply to Drips of Water from Pipe Next to Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a...
Replies
Views
Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock